GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the direction of the Principal Investigator or Designee, the Research Associate performs a variety of complex research experiments.
The Landers Lab (https://www.umassmed.edu/landerslab/) has an ongoing project investigating the common mechanisms involved in ALS neurodegeneration to identify universal therapeutic targets capable of blocking the disease progression of all forms of ALS. We are seeking an experienced Research Associate to test the in vivo efficacy of a potential therapeutic target using mouse models of ALS. Techniques utilized include transgenic mice behavioral studies, cell culture, fluorescent imaging, and other molecular, cellular and biochemical approaches. Successful candidates will have the ability to work independently and coordinate multiple activities concurrently with a high attention to detail. Candidates should be highly organized, hard-working and have strong writing, verbal and interpersonal skills.
- Conducts in-depth analysis of research experiments
- Performs complex laboratory experiments
- Interprets data, forms conclusion, and decides on and plans next experiments to be done with a high degree of independence
- Compiles and analyzes data and performs computations using image analysis software, spreadsheets, graphing, and curve fitting software
- May modify protocols and be responsible for a single, independent research project
- Assists in writing the text of scientific publications and grants. Reviews literature
- Trains new laboratory personnel, students, and collaborators
- Maintains laboratory supplies and equipment
- Complies with all safety and infection control standards
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Biological Sciences, or equivalent experience
- 1 year relevant research experience
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- Strong ability to analyze complex visual data in a quantitative and objective manner
- Judgment and action skills required to solve commonly encountered problems
Under the direction of the Principal Investigator, or designee
May functionally supervise Lab Technicians and Aides
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
Wet chemistry laboratory, and may require appropriate contact with biohazards, radionuclides, toxins, animals, and human specimens.