Part-Time Centers for Academic Success Embedded Tutor FY 2021
Part-Time Centers for Academic Success Embedded Tutor FY 2021
The College of Southern Nevada appreciates your interest in employment at our growing institution. We want your application process to go smoothly and quickly. We ask that you keep in mind the following when completing your application:
- Once you start the application process you cannot save your work. Please ensure you have all required attachment(s) available to complete your application before you begin the process.
- Required attachments are listed below on the posting. Your application will not be considered without the required attachments.
- Please note that applications must be submitted prior to the close of the recruitment. Once a recruitment has closed, applications will no longer be accepted.
If you are unable to attach the required documents to your online application or need assistance regarding the application process, please contact the Talent Acquisition team within Human Resources via email at [email protected] or call (702) 651-5800 to be directed to the appropriate Recruiter.
Embedded Tutors are assigned to a challenging first year course and assist students in that course by meeting with them to clarify learning problems and work on study skills. Other assistance might include: reviewing class material, discussing best approaches to reading the text, predicting test questions, formulating ideas for papers, or working on solutions to problems. Embedded tutors work with faculty and Centers for Academic Success staff to ensure collaborative support and improve student academic achievement. Other responsibilities include:
- Review syllabus for the course (i.e., due dates, quizzes, weekly topics, etc.)
- Use audio-visual technology to facilitate online tutoring
- Communicate with students in assigned course
- Conduct one-on-one tutoring sessions outside of class
- Communicate with course faculty and program staff to improve student outcomes
- Demonstrate reliable and positive work ethic
- Effectively apply/receive feedback and work in a team setting with staff and peers
- Model successful student habits and campus involvement in student interactions
- Participate in pre-semester training, ongoing training, and staff meetings
Benefits of Being an Embedded Tutor:
- Opportunity to gain work and leadership experience
- Increased academic knowledge
- Strengthening of interpersonal and mentoring skills
- Gained satisfaction from helping others succeed
- Closer relationships with faculty, staff, and peers
- Flexible work schedule
- Improved technology skills
Qualifications of Tutor Applicants:
- Have at least 12 hours of undergraduate work with an earned overall college grade point average of at least 3.0 - Transcripts must be submitted
- Have earned B or higher in math and/or English and any other subjects applying to tutor
- Demonstrate during the interview good communication and interpersonal skills, along with the ability to work with students from varied backgrounds and skill levels
- Demonstrate knowledge of effective study skills and strategies during interview
- Provide a recommendation from a faculty member that teaches the subject you wish to tutor
Hourly Wage Contingent upon Education Level:
- No degree $10.00 per hour
- Associate's $11.00 per hour
- Bachelor's $12.00 per hour
- Master's $14.00 per hour
- PhD $16.00 per hour
All applications MUST include the following attachments to be considered (you may include more if desired).
- Copy of transcripts (unofficial transcripts accepted)
- Cover letter that lists all subjects you are interested in tutoring
- One letter of recommendation from an instructor/professor who teaches the subject you are seeking to tutor
- One academic writing sample required for writing tutoring only
Instructions for the professor's letter of recommendation
Letters should be submitted as a PDF or Word document with instructor signature. At minimum, letters should address the student's abilities in the below areas/topics:
- Knowledge of course material
- Attitude towards subject/material
- Ability to explain ideas/concepts to peers
- Ability to empathize/relate to peers who may struggle with subject material
- Reliability/maturity (ability to accept and apply feedback)
NSHE - INTERNAL APPLICANTS PLEASE NOTE
CSN employees or employees within the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE) MUST use the "Find Jobs" process within Workday to find and apply for jobs at CSN and other NSHE Institutions. Once you log into Workday, type "Find Jobs" in the search box which will navigate to the internal job posting site.
Locate this specific job posting by typing the requisition number in the search box. If you complete an application outside of the internal application process and apply as an external candidate, your application will no longer be considered at the time of minimum qualification review. In order to
prevent the disqualification of your application, you will need to reapply as an internal candidate before 11:59pm the day prior to the position close date.
Posting Close Date
Note to Applicant
Applicants should fully describe their qualifications and experience with specific reference to each of the minimum and preferred qualifications. The search committee will use this information during the initial review of application materials.
All document(s) must be received by 11:59 p.m. the day prior to the closing date posted on the job announcement.
This position may require that a criminal background check be conducted on the candidate(s) selected for hire.
As part of the hiring process, applicants for positions in the Nevada System of Higher Education may be required to demonstrate the ability to perform job-related tasks.
Schedules are subject to change based on organizational needs.
CSN is responsive to serving the educational needs of a diverse and ever-changing community. CSN employs only U.S. citizens and aliens authorized to work in the U.S. CSN does not sponsor aliens applying for faculty, professional staff, or management positions (H-1B Visas) in the absence of exceptional circumstances as defined by the USCIS.
To apply, visit https://nshe.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/CSN-External/job/CSN---Charleston-Campus/Part-Time-Centers-for-Academic-Success-Embedded-Tutor-FY-2021_R0123003-1
The College of Southern Nevada (CSN) creates opportunities and changes lives through access to quality teaching, services, and experiences that enrich our diverse community. CSN has three main campuses in Las Vegas, North Las Vegas and Henderson and multiple sites and centers.
The Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE) is committed to providing a place of work and learning free of discrimination on the basis of a person’s age, disability, whether actual or perceived by others (including service-connected disabilities), gender (including pregnancy related conditions), military status or military obligations, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, race, or religion.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency