Job Number: 87806
This position is represented by SEIU Local 2007 and the collective bargaining agreement between the university and SEIU Local 2007 governs the terms and conditions of employment.
The anticipated shift is based on the operational needs and can change at any time with notice.
- Tuesday-Saturday 7:45am-4:15pm
- Sunday-Thursday 7:45am-4:15pm
ABOUT STANFORD UNIVERSITY AND RESIDENTIAL & DINING ENTERPRISES:
Founded in 1891, Stanford University is among the top academic institutions in the country, excelling in a wide range of fields from the humanities to information technology to the health sciences and medicine. The university is located near Palo Alto, 35 miles south of San Francisco, on an 8,800-acre campus.
Residential & Dining Enterprises (R&DE), the largest auxiliary organization at Stanford University, supports the academic mission of the University by providing the highest quality services to students and other members of the university community. The Department has an annual operating budget of over $270 million, oversees a 5 million sq. ft. physical plant across the campus, and provides housing for over 13,000 students and dependents, serves over 18,000 daily meals at 30 dining and retail locations and over 300,000 meals at Athletic Concessions events, and hosts 20,000 conference guests annually. Additionally, R&DE comprises 735 FTE staff in the following divisions: the Office of the Senior Associate Vice Provost, Student Housing, Stanford Dining, Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, Stanford Conferences, and a team of R&DE strategic business partners: Finance & Administration, Human Resources, Information Technology and Communications.
“Students (Customers) First” is the mantra of R&DE and our strategic goals reflect our commitment to delivering quality and excellence to our constituents every day. In R&DE, “Excellence is defined by aligning our strategic goals and performance with our vision.”
Reporting to the Housing Building Manager (HBM) or Housing Operations Supervisor (HOS), the Lead Custodian will provide a full range of custodial support for Stanford's Student Housing facilities. S/he will be responsible for cleanliness, organization, overall appearance, and up keep of an assigned area of student housing buildings according to University and industry standards. The Lead Custodian is responsible for relaying work tasks from the HBM/HOS to custodial workers (full-time and temporary employees) and following up on the completion of these tasks. The Lead Custodian is a point of contact when the HBM/HOS is out of the office.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following, and other duties may be assigned:
- Organize and maintain all equipment and chemicals in the custodial closet in a secure, clean, and ready condition for use.
- Understand how to properly prepare, store, and use all chemicals and maintain MSDS manual on cleaning chemicals.
- Clean a variety of floors and floor coverings.
- Clean, scrub, sweep, pick up, wipe, wash, dust, brush, and polish all common interior/exterior areas including walls, handrails, fixtures, woodwork, ceilings, furniture, light fixtures, appliances, picture frames, mirrors, water fountains, switch covers, and shelving.
- Clean and sanitize bathrooms (private and communal) which include, but are not limited to, showers, tubs, sinks, toilets, and fixtures.
- Clean and sanitize all common areas including, but not limited to, lounge areas, laundry rooms, kitchenettes, and locker areas.
- Clean kitchenette, including removing and relocating dishes from counter to designated area; clean exterior and interior of stove, refrigerator, sink, counter tops, cabinets, and drawers.
- Provide full-service support for summer programs including, but not limited to, cleaning guest rooms, making beds with clean linens, and providing towels for bathroom use.
- Report emergencies, damages, fixtures/furniture losses, and maintenance needs, safety issues, and equipment repairs.
- Clean glass windows and doors.
- Perform a variety of labor related tasks including, but not limited to, moving and setting up furniture for special events; replacing light bulbs, replacing vacuum cleaner bags and belts, picking up and delivering flyers, performing periodic inspections, and various other tasks required in the event of an emergency.
- Perform light maintenance work such as simple painting, replacing washers in faucets, cleaning out and/or plunging drains, and using water removal equipment in the event of flooding.
- Demonstrate cleaning techniques, equipment, and cleaning chemicals to new employees and seasonal temporary employees.
- Responsible for insuring that the key rings are secure at all times and checked in at the end of each shift.
- Responsible for adhering to all safety guidelines and procedures including, but not limited to, wearing safety gear in performing tasks such as safety glasses, gloves, and protective clothing when appropriate.
This position will be responsible for leading the HBM/HOS-assigned work tasks for the following positions: custodial workers, and temporary personnel when assigned.
- This lead position is responsible for communicating HBM/HOS-assigned work tasks to custodial workers and following up on the completion of daily tasks.
- This lead position is a point of contact when the HBM/HOS is out of the office.
- This lead position assists with the training of new and seasonal employees by demonstrating cleaning techniques, equipment, and cleaning chemicals.
Other duties as directed by the HBM/HOS.
MATERIAL AND EQUIPMENT USED:
- Commercial cleaning chemicals
- Commercial cleaning supplies
- Cleaning equipment (vacuum, mop, broom, rake, blower, and other powered equipment)
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES REQUIRED TO PERFORM ALL ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions):
- This position is considered moderately to highly physical, and requires standing, bending, lifting, and walking throughout the majority of the shift. Approximately 95% of time is spent standing, walking, or moving around work area, and approximately 5% of time is spent working at a desk or sitting.
- The ability to lift and carry up to forty (40) pounds on a regular basis is necessary for transporting supplies and goods.
- The ability to stoop, kneel, carry, ascend/descend stairs, climb ladder, push and pull, maintain a firm grasp, and conduct work above head height on a regular basis.
- Clear diction in English and acute hearing are necessary for effective communication with co-workers and students.
- A minimum 3+ years' custodial/janitorial experience required.
- At least one year successful experience leading, directing, and evaluating the workflow of others required.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
- Able to understand, speak, read/write, follow direction, and direct the workflow of others in the English language required.
- Above average customer service skills.
- Ability to solicit the cooperation of others with positive outcomes.
- Ability to communicate issues that arise to the direct supervisor or to the designated backup supervisor in their absence.
- Willingness and ability to ascend/descend stairs and/or ladder, push and pull, work above head, bend, stoop, lift, load, reach, and grasp, as well as carry 40 pounds or more.
- Successful ability to respond to rapidly changing priorities.
- Willingness to work variable shifts, days of week, overtime, and work in various locations.
- Valid CA Driver's License required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Good written and oral communication skills in English; ability to communicate effectively and cooperatively with co-workers, guests, other departments, and management in English on a daily basis.
- The ability to learn and apply safe work practices, including hazardous waste management and handling, injury and illness prevention program, confined space procedures, and safe chemical practices.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team; ability to motivate self and to work professionally with co-workers.
- Demonstrates ability to originate constructive and appropriate action to achieve results.
- Ability to follow through on tasks to completion in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates the ability to maintain a service attitude and approach to students and other customers.
- Demonstrates good attendance, neatness, punctuality, accuracy, and personal hygiene.
- Demonstrates the ability to provide a positive service attitude and approach to students, faculty, staff, and visitors to the University. Ability to be respectful of residents and co-worker's privacy and property. Ability to maintain and support a respectful work place at all times.
Work areas are inside and outside various Student Housing facilities as assigned.
This role is designated as essential and requires incumbents to report to the worksite. Telecommute is not an option for this role.
"Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job."
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 7653
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: A68
- Requisition ID: 87806
Location: Residential & Dining Enterprises, Stanford, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency