Lead Project Manager
PG190692EPInternal Recruitment :
Lead Project ManagerAnticipated Hiring Range:
$68,000 - $75,000Work Schedule:
40-45 hours per week, mostly within Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.Job Location:
Raleigh, NCDepartment :
Distance Education and Learning Technology Applications (DELTA)About the Department:
DELTA’s role within the Office of the Provost is to foster the integration and support of learning technologies in NC State’s academic programs, both on the campus and at a distance. We coordinate the funding and production of all distance-based credit programs and courses for the university, and promote high-quality education by extending the reach of the faculty and collaboratively applying expertise in technology and pedagogy in an efficient, effective, and service-oriented environment.Essential Job Duties:
The primary purpose of this position is to provide project management expertise for cross-team projects in DELTA that impact multiple individuals and resources. This position is responsible for compiling and analyzing information about proposed DELTA projects including descriptions and required resources, preparing project information to facilitate prioritization of tasks and projects, and managing assigned projects within the DELTA organization. The Lead Project Manager is regularly sought out by DELTA colleagues for expertise and advice and takes leadership of a pilot program or service and/or may lead a growing program or service. They also serve as leads and resources on instructional topics for campus, based on their expertise.
The Lead Project Manager reports to the Associate Director, Project Management. The working environment for this position is collaborative and team-based.
Essential Duties Include:
- Leads and directs colleagues in the prioritization, definition, management and coordination of DELTA projects across the organization, including those for application development, systems support, instructional tool development, instructional / media production, marketing, communication, instructional support, governance, and committees.
- Leads complex projects or initiatives involving large teams, multiple deliverables, or significant challenges and organizational impact, as well as managing project resources and timelines.
- Partners with production managers, development teams, and clients within and outside of DELTA to define and document the scope, goals, tasks, deliverables, and timelines for assigned projects
- Performs analysis and creates timelines (including dependencies) for the development of a broad array of projects inclusive of technology development, media/marketing, instructional development,, etc.
- Leads colleagues in feasibility discussions related to the timeline and resources needed for projects, and facilitates negotiations of deadlines with colleagues when timelines and shared resources overlap. Brings project teams together to creatively solve challenges associated with project scope, timelines, and deliverables
- Facilitates visibility and accountability for resource use, communication, timelines, and cross-team participation as appropriate using project management workflows and tools.
- Advocates transparent and collaborative project management techniques to maximize quality and efficiency of work to achieve project goals.
- Actively builds and maintains positive and collaborative professional work relationships with staff members across the DELTA organization.
- Manages and mediates conversations or situations with conflicting opinions, delicate subject matter, or visible tensions.
- Resource expert for organizational project management across a variety of philosophies, methodologies, and techniques, including but not limited to, Agile, Scrum, SAFe, DevOps.
- Works closely with senior leadership to lead DELTA’s strategic goal of organizational efficiency and agility through training, presentations, and consultations and by staying abreast of PM emerging trends and managing the implementation and customization of new PM practices to the organization.
- Co-leads campus-wide Project Management and Agile Community (PMAC) interest group, including planning out programming, facilitating discussion, managing membership and communications, and coordinating guest speakers.
- Agile thought-leader and advocate for change when appropriate within the organization.
- Reviews, evaluates, and recommends changes in procedures and workflow to improve efficiency and effectiveness for projects, processes and project teams.
- Actively researches and implements new PM tools and techniques for workflow improvement
- Manages ATI’s project management system, leading training and updates. Develops charts, schedules and reports for tracking and reporting projects.
- Interacts easily with DELTA and university colleagues with both routine and esoteric questions / challenges and has the ability to participate (and represent DELTA) and promote organizational excellence on campus committees, interest groups, and through campus presentations.
- Represents NC State University at conferences and in presentations, sharing agile experience and expertise from a higher education perspective.
- Assists with mentorship of new project managers and part-time employees, as necessary.
- May manage part-time employees.
Other duties as assigned.Minimum Experience and Education:
•Bachelor’s degree in project management, communications, psychology, education, organizational science, or related field.
•4+ years experience in project management, including managing time and documenting priorities, milestones and deliverables.
•An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
•Experience communicating with a variety of people (peers and superiors) in a variety of settings (small meetings, conference calls, one-on-one consultations, etc.)
•Experience managing conversations or situations with conflicting opinions, delicate subject matter, or visible tensions
•Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including verbal and written, both in detail and summarily.
•Ability to lead groups or teams without formal supervisory authority
•Ability to work in a team and establish collegial relationships with staff. Ability to coordinate with design staff, technical staff, coworkers, and internal/external clients and vendors.
•Superior comfort level speaking in groups, particularly when facilitating discussion of competing ideas or needs.
•Familiarity with project management applications (e.g. Basecamp, TeamworkPM, MS Project).
•Excellent organization and follow-up skills.
• Master’s degree in project management, communications, psychology, education, organizational science, or related field.
• High level of independence and initiative.
• Experience managing and collaborating with staff that are notably not direct reports.
• Experience working in a higher education setting.
• Experience working with technology professionals, projects, and products.
• Experience working in a design, studio or related production environment.
• PMI, PMP, Project+ or other project management certification.
n/aValid NC Driver's License required:
NoCommercial Driver's License required:
NoJob Open Date:
11/13/2020Anticipated Close Date:
Open Until Filled.Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please attach a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references.Position Number:
EHRA Non-FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Non Mandatory - Emergency EventIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
339001 - DELTAAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.