OPS Veterinary Technician Assistant
Job no: 515059
Work type: Temp Part-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Agriculture/Life Science/Vet Medicine
Department:28311001 - VM-ICU AND PCW SERVICES
Advertised: 13 Nov 2020 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: 23 Nov 2020 Eastern Standard Time
OPS Veterinary Technician AssistantJob Description:
The Emergency and Critical Care department is responsible for evaluating/treating patients seen on the triage service and treating hospitalized patients in the Intensive Care Unit. This service is looking for veterinary assistants to help technicians and doctors to provide excellent patient care.
Primary duties of the assistants will include assisting the veterinary technicians and clinicians with triage patients and critically ill patients. Assistants are responsible for maintaining the cleanliness of the ICU, ER, and department equipment, as well as maintaining inventory and stock in these rooms. This includes but is not limited to the following:
- Animal restraint for catheter placements, bandage changes, anesthesia, etc.
- Transporting patients throughout the hospital
- Walking and feeding patients
- Documentation in medical records
- Assisting with patient intake
- Sweeping, Mopping, Dusting, Organizing
- Basic clean-up after procedures
- Cleaning runs/cages
- Restocking and cleaning of stock carts, procedure carts, and crash carts
- Cleaning and properly storing all equipment in the ECC area
- Cleaning and preparing items for sterilization
- Submitting and receiving central stores orders
- Assisting technicians with volunteer orientation and training
- Acting as back-up client service representative to the emergency reception desk representative
Starting salary is $13.00 per hourMinimum Requirements:
- Ideal candidates for this position must be hardworking, dependable, self-starting, and be able to work in a team environment and take direction well.
- This is a 24-hour service. We currently need veterinary assistant coverage for 7 days/nights a week, on morning (8:00am - 4:00pm), mid (4:00pm - 12:00am), and overnight (12:00am - 8:00am) shifts. Schedules may require a combination of different shifts on a weekly basis.
- Candidates must be able to commit to a minimum of 3 work days (24 hours) weekly.
- Knowledge of veterinary medicine
- You like helping people. You are patient, level-headed, and cool under pressure.
- You are a problem solver. You rarely get flustered and if you do not know the answer, you will investigate it until you do.
- You pay attention to the details. You want to make sure everything you do is accurate the first time around. You stay focused and ensure nothing falls through the cracks.
- You communicate clearly whether it is verbally or written. You are not shy about asking questions to make sure you understand things clearly and can use your listening skills to ensure you understand what is being asked.
- You are motivated and driven. You are the first to volunteer for new challenges. You want to make a difference and find ways to improve the job.
- You thrive on staying busy and helping out others
This position works in an area that is open 24/7 for our hospitalized patients. Please list any days/times that you may not be able to work or cover a shift if needed.
In order to be considered, you must upload your cover letter, resume and list of references.
This position is considered essential personnel.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (EDT) of the posting end date.Health Assessment Required:
Must be able to lift a minimum of fifty pounds, bend, kneel, pull, push, twist and stand for extended periods of time.