Assistant Professor in Applied Cultural Anthropology
Assistant Professor in Applied Cultural AnthropologyJob Posting Number:
The Department of Anthropology at Texas State University invites applications for a tenure track appointment in applied cultural anthropology, at the assistant professor level, to begin Fall 2021. All positions are subject to availability of funds. For information about the department and our baccalaureate degrees in anthropology, M.A. in anthropology, and Ph.D. in applied anthropology, please visit https://www.txstate.edu/anthropology/.
The successful candidate will help prepare undergraduate and graduate students careers in business, industry, government, and non-profit organizations. Geographic area of expertise is open, however, the candidate will be expected to pursue some local, applied projects with the goal of providing practical training and applied research experience for undergraduate and graduate students.
The responsibilities of the position include:
1) Teaching appropriate introductory and advanced classes in cultural anthropology and applied cultural anthropology in all degree programs as assigned. This will include field schools and/or leading student-involved projects as part of the department’s Community Research Project course.
2) Maintaining an externally funded, active research program in applied cultural anthropology that results in peer-reviewed publications.
3) Mentoring undergraduate, M.A. and Ph.D. students in applied cultural anthropology.
4) Contributing to service activities in the department, college and university.
5) Advancing diversity and inclusion in all areas of faculty effort.
1) Earned Ph.D. in anthropology or a related field at the time of appointment (August 2021). If doctorate is in a field other than anthropology, a minimum of 18 graduate credit hours in anthropology is required.
2) Active research or professional employment in applied cultural anthropology.
1) Research focus related to business anthropology including, but not limited to: organizational culture and change, design, UX, and marketing/advertising/consumer research.
2) Current or past employment as an applied cultural anthropologist.
3) Active research in applied cultural anthropology with evidence of applied reports, peer-reviewed publications and external funding in the forms of grants or contracts.
4) Experience in teaching, or the ability to teach, undergraduate and graduate courses in applied cultural anthropology, qualitative methods and cultural theory.
5) Clear plans to develop local research opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students to gain experience in applied cultural anthropology.
6) Ability to build relationships with applied cultural anthropologists and the businesses/organizations that employ them in the greater central Texas area.
7) A commitment to advancing diversity and inclusion in research, instruction and/or public engagement.
Only applications submitted through the Texas State University website will be accepted and considered, https://jobs.hr.txstate.edu/postings/34131.
For full consideration, all application materials must be received by January 5, 2021. Interested applicants should submit:
1) A cover letter detailing the how the applicant meets the position’s required and preferred qualifications.
2) A statement indicating how the applicant’s research, instruction and/or public engagement advances diversity and inclusion.
3) A detailed curriculum vita.
4) The names and contact information for three references.
For inquiries, please contact Dr. Richard Warms, Search Committee Chair, at [email protected].
The selected candidate will be required to provide official transcripts from all degree-granting universities.Proposed Start Date:
Fall 2021Review Date:
01/05/2021Open Until Filled?:
Texas State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, committed to inclusive thought and action in support of our diverse community. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups and all those who share our commitment to inclusivity and passion for the strength of our diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.
Employment with Texas State University is contingent upon the outcome of record checks and verifications including criminal history, driving records, education records, employment verifications, reference checks, and employment eligibility verifications.
Texas State University is a tobacco-free campus. Smoking and the use of any tobacco product will not be allowed anywhere on Texas State property or in university owned or leased vehicles.
Texas State University is a member of the Texas State University System.
Texas State University is home to more than 38,000 students and 2,000 faculty members in the growing Austin-San Antonio corridor. A member of the Doctoral Universities: Higher Research Activity Carnegie classification, the university creates new knowledge, fosters cultural and economic development, and prepares its growing population of diverse students for the endless possibilities that await them as citizens of Texas, the nation, and the world.
Bolstered by research with relevance and innovation in creative and scholarly work in a full range of academic disciplines and a spirit of inclusiveness, Texas State seeks outstanding candidates for a variety of faculty positions.Quick Link: