Student - First Year Experience Assistant (SPRING 2021)
Student - First Year Experience Assistant (SPRING 2021)Pay Rate :
FIRST YEAR EXPERIENCEJob Description Summary:
The First Year Experience Assistant will provide basic administrative duties for the Office of First Year Experience. The student will provide assistance to students and their family seeking degree and registration information.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Greet walk-ins and explains basic information about First Year Experience and how students can utilize the tools offered in the office
• Answer phones and answer student questions
• Assists students with registration
• Use Student Dashboard to determine student requirements for testing and registration
• Performs additional tasks as needed: shredding, filing, scanning/photocopying, assembling advising materials
• Office coverage during staff meetings and required training for First Year Experience staff
• The duties listed in this job description are not all-inclusive, but a list of the major responsibilities. Additional duties not noted in the job description may be assigned by a supervisor.
• High school diploma or GED
• Basic clerical skills
• Computer literacy
• Excellent customer service
• Effective communication skills
• Understanding of the registration process
• Experience with Excel, PowerPoint, Word and BannerOther Information:
This position is scheduled for approximately 15-20 hours per weekSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
You must be enrolled at the College on a full-time or part-time basis (minimum of 6 credit hours during fall and spring semesters and 3 credit hours during the summer semester); contact hours will not be used to meet the 6 credit hour minimum.
High-school students who are dual enrolled are eligible for student employment. You must also meet the credit hour requirement.
You must be enrolled or continuing your education with a four-year College partner, on the campus of SMC, and be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours and at least 1 SMC credit hour during the fall and spring semesters and 3 credit hours and at least 1 SMC credit hour during the summer semester.
All student employees must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 to be eligible for student employment.Physical Requirements:
Must be able to complete the following with or without a reasonable accommodation:
1. The physical activity of this position.
A. Talking. Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word.
B. Hearing. Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction. Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication, and to make the discrimination in sound.
C. Repetitive motion. Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
2. The physical requirements of this position.
Sedentary work. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time.
3. The visual acuity requirements including color, depth perception, and field vision.
The employee is required to have visual acuity to determine the accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of the work assigned or to make general observations of facilities or structures.
4. The conditions the employee will be subject to in this position.
None. The employee is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.Quicklink: