Executive Director, Laboratory Operations
Job location: Miami, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-11-12
Current Employees:If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.Transforming LivesThe University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
The department of Pathology is actively seeking a full-time Executive Director, Laboratory Operations to work at the UHealth campus. The Executive Director, Laboratory Operations performs highly responsible scientific and managerial work in directing the operations for the assigned laboratory. An employee in this position manages, plans, and coordinates the work of technical and clerical employees that perform chemical, physical, and instrumental analysis. Additionally, the Executive Director, Laboratory Operations leverages expertise in scientific knowledge to support medical staff and leads laboratory operations in a cost effective and efficient manner that is consistent with the needs of the department and its clients.
CORE JOB FUNCTIONS
- This position is responsible to coordinate a seamless operational process between the management laboratory enterprise and the UHealth CLIA medical director.
- Works alongside and with all the clinical Departments and research areas of UHealth. Represents the UHealth Laboratory in all University school and UHealth meetings.
- Directs all COVID related operations for the University and UHealth initiatives.
- Develop and implement an independent lab to capture additional test volume currently going to other commercial laboratories.
- Coordinate and work with the billing Director to optimize charge capture of testing. Will indicate when there are new test on the market to add to the menu of test.
- Overseas operations and coordination Pathology research related studies, including clinical trials.
- Liaison to market all Laboratory services to internal and external market
- Supervise all Uhealth laboratory related employees including Director of Regulatory and Compliance.
- Implement Inventory system for COVID UHelath Lab
- Works together with Lab Information System personnel to implement interfaces and other IT related systems needed for Uhealth Labs
- Coordinate all space activities related to Lab
- Works with the Medical Directors of UHealth Lab to implement new testing and initiatives.
- Approves and monitors lab related expenses and works with Vice Chair of Administration and Finance to budget and plan along with the with Finance Manager
- Facilitates with the Vice Chair of Education programs for residents and fellow’s lab related
- Works with Director of Data Science to create dashboard to monitor daily lab operations
- Oversees all Quality initiatives and ensure compliance with the Medical Director of Quality
- Monitors productivity of Uhealth Lab employees
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities as necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field. Master’s preferred.
- Minimum 7 years of relevant experience
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
- Knowledge of business and management principles.
- Ability to direct, manage, implement, and evaluate department operations.
- Ability to establish department goals, and objectives that support the strategic plan.
- Ability to effectively plan, delegate and/or supervise the work of others.
- Ability to lead, motivate, develop and train others.
Any appropriate combination of relevant education, experience and/or certifications may be considered.
The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, tuition remission and more.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We're the challenge you've been looking for.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza ("the flu") season (September through April), the University Of Miami Miller School Of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:c110