Sr. Financial Analyst - Centers
Job location: Coral Gables, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-11-13
If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.
The University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.
With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.
The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
The University of Miami's Office of Budget and Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A) and the Central Finance Office team seek a seasoned Sr. Financial Analyst at the Coral Gables Campus.
CORE JOB SUMMARY
The Sr. Financial Analyst examines financial status of the organization by collecting, monitoring, and studying data, and develops projections, reports, and presentations to assist senior managing staff in their financial decision-making process. Moreover, the incumbent establishes and enforces policies and procedures that further department’s financial goals and objectives. The Sr. Financial Analyst is a shared resource and supports various departments as assigned. This position reports to the Sr. Manager of Finance in the Office of Financial Planning & Analysis.
CORE JOB FUNCTIONS
- Reviews reports and ensures that financial information has been recorded accurately.
- Identifies trends and developments in competitive environments and presents findings to senior management.
- Performs financial forecasting and reconciliation of internal accounts.
- Compares results with plans and forecasts and makes recommendations for adjustments.
- Trains and oversees junior staff members to ensure accuracy and efficiency in end work product.
- Assists in the development and organization of department and project budgets.
- Determines profitability and pricing on product offerings and develops performance indicators to enable the analysis of business segments and new product lines.
- Conducts research on different strategic initiatives.
- Acts as liaison to other departments, vendors, and other external parties to complete assignments.
- Adheres to University and unit-level policies and procedures and safeguards University assets.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities as necessary.
Bachelor’s degree in relevant field
Minimum 3 years of relevant experience
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
- Skill in collecting, organizing, and analyzing data.
- Ability to recognize, analyze, and solve a variety of problems.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in making critical decisions.
Department Specific Functions
- Serves as a resource for assigned departments providing assistance to faculty and staff with cost analysis, fiscal allocation and budget preparation.
- Assists in the oversight of operational accounts and ensures they are adequately monitored and reconciled; projects revenue and expenditure budget variances; monitors, verifies and reconciles expenditure of budgeted funds.
- Provides timely detailed financial and/or narrative reports on budget variances, projected revenues and expenditures, and staff salaries.
- Oversees fiscal management for assigned cost centers including contract review, expenditure requests, and account reconciliation.
- Assists with the adherence to and execution of the department’s annual budget in accordance with University Budget Guidelines and Policies.
- Consults with assigned departments regarding budget, financial reports, reconciliations, irregular and unusual transactions and problem resolutions.
- Responsible for fiscal year closing of assigned accounts.
- Consults with departments regarding budget analysis, financial reports, reconciliations, irregular and unusual transactions and problem resolutions.
- Assists in equipment inventory and certification.
- Responsible for creating and updating various standard operating procedures.
- Exercises discretion and independent judgment in daily activities.
- Responsible for creating and sustaining a collaborative work environment where personnel is treated respectfully, ethically and professionally at all times; responsible for building positive and productive relationships with colleagues at all levels and departments across campus.
- Supports the Sr. Finance Manager operationally and with other projects as needed.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:c107