Career Information Specialist
Career Information Specialist
Job no: 493818
Work type: Part-time Regular
Location: Overland Park Main Campus
Categories: Student Services
Posting Job TitleCareer Information Specialist
Position TypePart-time Regular
Number of openings
The Career Information Specialist assists in the day-to-day operation of the Career Development Center. As the initial contact for prospective students, JCCC students, alumni, faculty, staff, and employers, the Career Information Specialist (CIS) provides assistance and information in basic self-discovery, college major research, career exploration, and the job search process. The CIS creates a positive and professional environment, builds rapport with a diverse population of students, and serves as an ambassador for the department, division, and the college. Utilizing specialized career development knowledge, the CIS assesses students’ career exploration and job search needs and provides guidance, information, instruction and referrals to help individuals with their educational and career goals. Responsible for developing, evaluating, and revising a wide variety of career development resources, the CIS ensures that the Career Development Center maintains a current and relevant collection of informative materials to assist students with their college major selection, career exploration and job search goals.
Required Qualifications• Bachelor’s degree
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Creative, analytical, and problem-solving skills
• Communicate and interact with college students on various career topics
• Organizational skills and attention to detail; proofreading skills
• Ability to manage time effectively and handle multiple projects at one time
• Ability to contribute to a team and share workspace with other staff members
• Ability to research, gather and compile data
• Experience in public speaking and presenting to small and large groups using exceptional presentation and communication skills.
• Maintain student confidentiality
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), and the Internet
Preferred Qualifications• Effective use of teaching strategies and integrated technology to successfully engage participants and enhance learning
• Work experience in a career development center
• Higher education or related experience.
• Knowledge of career development theories and or job search and recruitment practices.
Required application documents
Please submit resume, cover letter, and unofficial transcripts with the application.
Hours per Week25
Hours and days will vary.
Salary Grade Level
$15. 24 per hour
Overland Park Main Campus
Every employee of the college is expected to treat all members of the college community with dignity and respect demonstrating professional, courteous and respectful behavior and engage in constructive conflict resolution, when needed.
In accordance with the college policy, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. Individual hiring departments at JCCC may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions as part of the applicant selection/hiring process. Many departments require those selected for hire to submit a certified transcript for all degrees obtained. For full consideration, applicants are encouraged to apply prior to the review date listed in posting.
Johnson County Community College welcomes the application of any qualified candidate and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, sex, religion, marital status, national origin, disability, veteran's status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or other factors which cannot be lawfully considered, to the extent specified by applicable federal and state laws.
If you are an applicant requesting assistance or a reasonable accommodation in the application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 913-469-3877, or email [email protected]
For a summary of all disclosures (Background check, Clery Act, ADA, EOE, etc.) refer to the links on our Career page.
Advertised: 13 Nov 2020 Central Standard Time
Applications close: 30 Nov 2020 Central Standard Time