Career and Academic Advisor
Career and Academic AdvisorClassification Title:
Student Services CoordinatorMin Salary:
$ 56,718Max Salary:
$ 65,225Salary Type:
E = ExemptPosition Summary::
The Academic and Career Advisor is responsible for providing professional academic and career advice along with general college information to students and prospective students. Advising responsibilities include educational program planning, career exploration, transfer planning, and assisting students with integrating career and educational goals. . Advisors may provide short-term intervention and support for concerns related to academic success along with referrals to community resources as appropriate.
This class is the third of four levels in the Student Services series. Incumbents support students in their educational efforts and provide academic and career advising. Responsibilities may include maintaining a caseload of students; determining student eligibility for services and admissions; locating social services or academic resources for students; developing and presenting workshops; arranging logistics related to travel, housing or activities; maintaining student records; and monitoring and evaluating participation in and the response to activities and services.Staff Required Education/Experience::
Bachelor’s degree in counseling, education, human services, social worker or related field, and at least four (4) years of related human services experience; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job. Incumbents may be required to obtain a Master’s degree within a time specified by the CollegeDesired Education/Experience/Skills::
Masters Preferred.Other Knowledge, Skills and Abilities::
Ability to use Microsoft Office Suite software.
Ability to use electronic advising tools, academic and career tools.
Strong verbal and written communication skills.
Develop and deliver presentations
Student Advocacy Services - SouthWork Hours::
Generally 8 am – 5 pm Monday through Friday. Some Weekend and Evening work may be required.Posting Date::
11/26/2020Open Until Filled:
NoDuty and Responsibility::
1. Coordinates assigned program and/or service, ensuring alignment with overall College goals; coordinates department functions and/or services, which may include counseling students on coursework; determining student eligibility for services and admissions; locating social services or academic resources for students as requested; developing and presenting workshops regarding academics and student services; arranging logistics related to travel, housing or activities for prospective students and parents; and performing related duties.Duty and Responsibility::
2. Manages a caseload of students advising them on a variety of issues related to assigned academic area(s).Duty and Responsibility::
3. Prepares, reviews, and submits a variety of operational and student records, reports, and related documents and information.Duty and Responsibility::
4. Monitors program participation, evaluates program performance, and recommends program improvements.Duty and Responsibility::
5. Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.