Cyberinfrastructure Engineer - 28777
Location: UMKC Volker Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 34912
Information ServicesJob Description The University of Missouri-Kansas City is seeking applicants for a Cyberinfrastructure Engineer position. This position will work closely with researchers in a variety of research areas to develop scientific HPC solutions. The position will deal with all aspects of HPC design and support including hardware, software, networking, physical environments and cloud-based infrastructure. Regular activities will include HPC solutions consultation and implementation, custom programming, infrastructure provisioning, both on premise and in the cloud, creation and compliance of security policies and procedures, user training, and project management. The ability to manage time, communicate, and collaborate with individuals at different technical skill levels is important. This position will help develop, implement, expand, and define HPC research for the NextGen Data Science and Analytics Center at UMKC and support the entire UM System.Examples of the kinds of leading-edge projects this position will work to implement in collaboration with campus researchers would include analyzing the effects of prescription drugs on COVID-19 patients utilizing an AWS data lake in conjunction with Machine Learning functions, deploying a Google Cloud compute engine to run GPU-accelerated AI image processing toward analyzing and searching fragments of medieval manuscripts, and training deep learning models using on-premise GPU cluster hardware toward clinical predictions based on historical data aggregated from regional healthcare providers.Information technology duties are 24x7x365, and some weekend and evening work should be expected in this role. This person will be required to have a cell phone so we can communicate during non-business hours when necessary.
- Training (researchers, faculty, staff, students, outside entities related to the university)
- Cross-campus security work in the University of Missouri System
- Support of multiple public cloud platforms
- Support of multiple private cluster infrastructures including hyper-converged infrastructure
- Providing custom consulting support on projects with researchers
- Provision servers and related resources in different environments based on function/need
- Support of highly-complex software applications
- Work with business staff on operational costs and lifecycle planning and expansion
- Advise on new trends and proactively push for new software, hardware and philosophies
- Deal with complex user requirements including analytics, software, security, FERPA and HIPPA, and DOD protected data
- This position will focus on working with researchers and faculty members
Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems or a related field required; or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience; and at least two years of experience that provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.Preferred Qualifications
- 2+ years working knowledge with cloud service provider technologies (AWS or Google Cloud Platform preferred, or Microsoft Azure or Chameleon)
- Systems administrator experience; preferably in public cloud or large enterprise-level data centers
- 2+ years working with cloud orchestration and automation
- Technical skills in server operating systems (Windows and Linux) including administration and clustering
- Experience with programming/scripting and RESTful APIs
- Knowledge of automation, orchestration and configuration management technologies such as OpenStack, Terraform, Puppet, Chef, SLURM, Hadoop, and BrightCluster Manager
- Technical knowledge across various disciplines to resolve complex infrastructure integration issues and problems, and ability to interface with multiple vendors to coordinate resolution of issues
- Experience operating in a large enterprise environment and understanding implementation of systems at scale
- Ability to operate in an agile, fast-paced environment
- Ability to communicate effectively - verbally and in written form - to both technical and non-technical people
Full TimeSalary $70,000-$80,000Application Deadline
December 13, 2020Application Instructions
Applicants must combine all application materials (cover letter, resume, and list of three references with contact information) into one PDF or Microsoft Word document and upload as a resume attachments. Limit document name to 50 characters. Maximum size limit is 11MB. Do not include special characters (e.g., /, &, %, etc.).
For questions about how applicants apply, please call (816) 235-1621, or if you are experiencing technical problems, please call (855) 524-0002.Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America. For more information, call the Vice Chancellor - Human Resources at 816-235-1621.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the duties and functions of this job. If you believe you may have difficulty performing any of the duties or functions of this job, please contact the Office of Affirmative Action at (816) 235-1323.
EEO IS THE LAW
To read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use the following links:
UMKC values diversity as central to its mission as an urban-serving research university and as a driver of excellence in teaching and learning. UMKC embraces a broad spectrum of diversities, including race, ethnicity, culture, nationality, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability, linguistic ability, learning style, religion, socioeconomic and veteran status, life experiences, educational level and family structure. For more information on our diversity mission, visit the Office of Diversity and Inclusion website: http://info.umkc.edu/diversity/
UMKC is the largest comprehensive, fully accredited university in the Kansas City area. Our students come from all 50 states and over 85 countries, enriching our community with diverse perspectives. With more than 125 academic areas, our students have a lot of opportunities to explore on their way to discovering and creating their perfect career. We are at the heart of a thriving urban area where the city’s life and energy influence everything that happens here. We are Kansas City’s university and we can’t wait for you to join us! Find out more about UMKC in the About UMKC section of our website.
Details about UMKC’s community and the benefits of being an employee can be found on our careers page.