Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant
DescriptionThe Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant must have the ability to perform both urgent and primary care. Will perform medical assessments of both sick or injured patients and routine health maintenance assessments. This includes acute and routine physical exams and a variety of women's health assessments. These can range from routine gynecologic visits to acute gynecologic problems. Evaluates walk-in patients, and treats those with simple issues and refer more complex evaluations to other providers. Administers routine immunizations, injectable and oral medications, and allergy desensitization therapy. Initiate and maintain IV infusion of appropriate patients. Performs medical history and physical exams. Orders, performs and/or interprets diagnostic and laboratory tests. Formulates a plan of treatment in conjunction with the patient. Performs minor surgical and diagnostic procedures as permitted by privileging process. Communicates diagnosis and treatment recommendations in terms the patients can understand. Answers patient’s questions and encourages patient participation in treatment decisions. Prescribes appropriate, cost-effective medications, emergency contraception, and other treatment measures.Counsels patient on abnormal findings; educates the patient on possible drug side effects, self-care, preventive measures, and follow-up plans. Determines the need for hospitalization or specialty referral. Documents all pertinent findings, treatment plans and communications with patient in electronic medical record according to Health Center policies and medical standards.
Participates in the precepting of PA and Athletic training students, and other duties as assigned. Participates in staff meetings and quality assurance activities, including peer review and audits, quality improvement projects as assigned, lab proficiency testing for provider microscopy, and development of clinical protocols and guidelines. Participates in COVID testing of students, faculty, and staff. Performs contact tracing on positive patients. Participates in continuing education to improve knowledge of college health and satisfy certification and licensure requirements.
- Completion of certified Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant training program.
- Maryland licensure as a Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner.
- Two years of outpatient experience in primary care, urgent care, or emergency room setting.
- Must feel comfortable with simple office procedures (e.g. I&D, simple suturing) and starting of IV's.
- Knowledge of and experience with immunization schedules and allergy desensitization is desired.
- Urgent Care or College Health experience.
- Knowledge of Women's Health issues especially contraceptive issues and emergency contraception.
- Experience with Electronic health records.
- Knowledge of donning and duffing of PPE and wearing N95 masks is desired.
A Criminal Background Investigation is required for the hired candidate and the results may impact employment.
Organization: Student Affairs Division
Primary Location: Main Campus
Job Posting: Nov 12, 2020