Athletic Operations Manager
Job Title: Athletic Operations Manager
Location: Sky Dome
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 605024
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU’s culture of excellence.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
Furlough/Pay Reduction Program
Northern Arizona University has implemented a salary reduction with personal flex time program in fiscal year 2021, as a result of COVID-19. It is possible for this position to be subject to this program. Details can be found on the HR website.
Member of the athletic facilities and operations team that will assist with all aspects of the operation of the J. Lawrence Walkup Skydome and other athletic facilities for NAU Intercollegiate Athletics, University sponsored events, and the greater Flagstaff community sponsored events. Responsibilities include preparing facilities for practice and competition, assisting with coordinating staffing for events, set up and tear down of events including facility turnovers, and oversight of the technological needs of the facilities including operation and maintenance of sound systems, scoreboards, shot clocks, and videoboards. This position reports to the Senior Associate Athletics Director.
- Assist with the planning and coordination of all phases of intercollegiate operations and facilities for 15 intercollegiate sports. Assist with the set up and break down for all athletic department events, university events, and outside rentals held in athletic facilities.Ensure all facility equipment is operational, including scoreboards, sound systems, video boards, lighting systems, video streaming and video replay systems.Monitors, determines and/or arranges physical maintenance of facilities and equipment as required including submitting work requests for maintenance and repair as needed through Facility Services.Coordinate with campus supply on procurement of custodial supplies.Assist with the daily security and access of facilities including maintaining key inventory and scheduling door readers.Assist with event logistics by ensuring proper set up of chairs, turnstiles, tables and other requirements.Serves as facility representative during events by responding to and resolving emergency situations and/or patron problems such as medical emergencies or security incidents; ensures all aspects of events are implemented and controlled according to plans.Works with the Events Coordinator to hire, train, and provide supervision for student event staff.Maintains inventory and maintenance of facility/department equipment.Responsible for adhering to policies and procedures relating to safety and security, emergency management, game day operations, facility use, etc.Perform other duties as assigned.
- Occasionally ascends/descends various heights to service the lights, scoreboards, or other facility equipment.Frequently works in outdoor weather conditions.Frequently moves audio/visual or other equipment weighing up to 50 pounds across campus for various events needs.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year college or university AND two years’ experience in athletic facility operations, which include at least one year of supervisory and coordinative experience OR any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.Possess valid driver’s license
- Master’s degreeKnowledge of NCAA policies and regulations.Experience leading staff in an event setting.Experience working in an intercollegiate athletics environment.Experience with video and scoreboard operations.Experience with outdoor field, court, stadium and turf management.Proficiency in MS Office.Forklift certified.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Availability to work flexible shifts, evenings and weekends.Strong commitment to customer service.Knowledge of NCAA rules, regulations, guidelines and procedures.Demonstrated ability to multi-task, work independently, and prioritize.Organizational skills and strong attention to detail.Promotes a diverse, inclusive environment.Communicates effectively.Ability to oversee and train others on new skills and procedures and provide lead work direction.Exercises good judgement and professionalism in a fast-paced setting.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting.
If you are applying for a job that requires a CDL, you will be required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse and adhere to the clearinghouse requirements.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus and NAU-Fort Defiance as these campuses have on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities.
If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Commensurate with experience.
**The starting salary will be determined by the qualifications of the selected applicant balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Service Professional (SPF) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System or the Optional Retirement Program; 22 days of vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website.
NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus.
Service Professionals are hired on a contract basis, renewable each 6 months according to terms of the Conditions of Professional Service.
Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. If a new employee chooses the ASRS retirement option, participation in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, will begin on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date. New employees who choose to participate in the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP), which is an alternative to the ASRS plan for faculty and other appointed staff, will begin to participate on the first day of employment. Additionally, the long-term disability plan that accompanies the ORP will begin on the first day of employment.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days. If your position includes the supervision of a benefit-eligible employee, we offer the NAU Supervisors Academy for you to complete within your first 2 years.
November 30, 2020 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.