Compliance and VA Certification Officer
Compliance and VA Certification Officer🔍Vice Provost for Student Affairs, Stanford, California, United States📁Student Services📅Nov 13, 2020 Post Date📅87801 Requisition #Business Title: Compliance and VA Certification Officer
Division/School: Vice Provost for Student Affairs
Department: Student Services Center
Schedule: 100% FTE, Exempt
Appointment Duration: Continuing
- Serve as the School Certifying Official for the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) education benefits.
- Ensure compliance with VA (Federal) and CSAAVE (State) policies and maintain educational benefits files in accordance with federal regulations.
- Use PeopleSoft and VA-ONCE to process certifications and manage the Veteran’s student record.
- Submit VA certifications, enrollment adjustments, and student data through VA-ONCE system.
- Collaborate with others to help resolve financial issues and concerns, interpret policies, and mediate complex and sensitive issues.
- Prepare for federal audits and facilitate the visit.
- Collaborate with the Office for Military-Affiliated Communities (OMAC) to support the Veteran community at Stanford.
- Provide advice to students on a range of issues including, using VA education benefits in line with program policies, in order to assist them in making appropriate choices and decisions.
- Provide advising for students to be in compliance for receipt of benefits and understand implications to Stanford’s financial aid policies.
- Serve as the primary contact for Veteran education benefits issues, and work with appropriate departments (i.e. Financial Aid, Student Financials, Haas Center, summer session, Registrar’s Office) to resolve with sensitivity to the Veteran’s individual needs. Resolve VA educational benefits inquiries through trained expertise.
- Educate Stanford staff community on policies and procedures of VA education benefits and keep up to date with policy changes that impact processing.
- Assist in the management, coordination, documentation, and fulfillment of incoming FERPA requests for the University.
- Develop recommendations and collaboration with staff and other offices to resolve FERPA issues within the school and across functional units.
- Identify trends, perform needs analysis, and participate in the implementation and testing of new technology that will assist with the FERPA process.
- Act as a backup for the NCAA Certifying Officer and be able to understand NCAA rules and regulations and certify student-athletes as needed.
- Assist in processing student-athlete forms as required under NCAA rules.
- Assist in the management enhancements related to VA education benefits, NCAA compliance, or FERPA.
- Bachelor’s degree and three years of relevant experience, or a combination or education and relevant experience.
- Strong written and oral communication skills to clearly and effectively communicate information to diverse communities.
- Customer service skills.
- An understanding of higher education financial aid operations.
- Relevant computer systems/technology experience.
- Ability to learn and understand compliance with legal, financial, and university policies and external regulations.
- Relevant experience in a veteran support administrative role and an understanding of the military-affiliated community.
- An understanding of Graduate Financial Aid, Federal Student Loan regulations, privacy regulations (FERPA), and collection regulations is highly desired. Must be cognizant of and have the ability to enforce the internal controls implemented in the Student Services office.
- Experience in navigating and communicating with Veterans Administration offices, both locally and nationwide. Understand the various benefits and services offered by the VA, and how they are administered and managed to ensure participation. Ideally experience using VA-ONCE to submit certifications to the VA.
- Compliance administration experience.
- Experience using PeopleSoft or equivalent Student Information System, specifically using the Veterans functionality for tracking and managing this student group.
- Critical thinker and ability to work independently in a fast paced, multitask environment.
- Advanced customer service and computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more
Job Title: Student Services Officer 2
Job Code: 7502
Salary Level: H Additional Information
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 7502
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: H
- Requisition ID: 87801