Groundsworker I (Two Positions)
Groundsworker I (Two Positions)
Kern Community College District
Position Number: 03154
Posting Date: 11/12/2020
Position Closing Date:
Initial Screening Date: 11/26/2020
Open Until Filled: Yes
Position Type: Classified
Work Week: 40 hours per week, 12 month position
Minimum Salary: $2,618.92 per month
Maximum Salary: $3,700.47 per month
Our competitive benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision insurance; life insurance coverage; long-term disability insurance, and an employee assistance program (EAP).
In addition, employees have the option to purchase:
- Flex 125
- AFLAC Policy
- Supplemental voluntary life insurance
- 403b Tax Shelter Annuity
All coverages begin on the first day of the month following the hire date. Employees are covered under the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS) and are vested 100% after five years of full time service.
College/Site: Bakersfield College
Location: BC-Main Campus
Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, perform a variety of grounds maintenance and gardening duties in the beautification of assigned grounds and landscaped areas.
Groundsworker I incumbents perform a variety of routine grounds maintenance duties involving mowing, trimming, edging and weeding lawns, athletic fields and other turf grounds.
Perform a variety of grounds maintenance and gardening duties in the beautification of assigned grounds and landscaped areas.
Plant, cultivate, prune, spray, fertilize and irrigate flowers, trees, lawns, bushes and shrubs; hoe weeds; rake leaves and clear debris from walkways, fields, courts and other facilities; pick up debris following assigned tasks.
Mow, edge, trim and water lawns, athletic fields and other turf grounds; maintain golf green area; prepare and fertilize soil.
Perform general pest control duties; apply herbicides, fungicides and pesticides; maintain records related to work performed.
Operate a variety of power-driven equipment and District vehicles including a truck, weed eater, mower, fork lift, edger, blower, power pressure sprayer, rototiller and other equipment used in grounds maintenance work; utilize standard gardening hand tools.
Communicate with District employees to coordinate work; assist other maintenance and grounds personnel in the repair and maintenance of sprinkler systems.
Maintain grounds maintenance equipment in safe operating condition; perform routine maintenance on equipment as needed.
Provide training and work direction to temporary and student workers.
Perform routine custodial duties as assigned.
Perform related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Any combination equivalent to: Graduation from high school and one year of related experience.
Note: Degrees and credits must be from accredited institutions (Title V Section 53406). Any degree from a country other than the United States, including Canada and Great Britain, must be evaluated by an evaluation service.
Note: The screening of candidates will be conducted by a screening committee. The screening committee reserves the right to limit the number of interviews granted. Meeting the minimum qualifications for a position does not assure the applicant of an interview.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Basic grounds maintenance procedures including mowing, edging, raking and weeding.
- Methods, equipment and materials used in gardening and grounds keeping work.
- Cultivating, fertilizing, watering and spraying of flowers, trees and shrubs.
- Proper methods of applying chemicals used in grounds maintenance.
- Basic record-keeping techniques.
- Health and safety regulations.
- Proper lifting techniques.
- Perform general grounds maintenance duties including mowing, edging, watering, weeding, fertilizing, raking and cultivating lawns, flower beds, athletic fields and other landscaped areas.
- Operate a variety of power and hand tools used in grounds maintenance.
- Perform routine maintenance on grounds equipment.
- Apply specialized chemicals to control and eradicate weeds, insects and other pests.
- Observe health and safety regulations.
- Understand and follow instructions.
- Work cooperatively with others.
Salary Grade: 34.0
Special Instructions to Applicants:
If you are interested in being considered for this opening, please submit the following on or before the closing date of *November 26, 2020 by 5:00pm.
- A completed Voluntary Transfer/Reassignment Request form, if applicable per Article 4B1
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the necessary arrangements.
All applicants must apply online at https://careers.kccd.edu/postings/14102. Emails will not be accepted.
As an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, the Kern Community College District encourages candidates with diverse backgrounds to apply.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency