Custodian I (One or more vacancies)
Custodian I (One or more vacancies)
Position Number: 2013141100
Department: Custodial Services
Job Category: Classified Unit B
Time (Percent Time): 100%
Term (months/year): 12 months/year
Current Work Schedule (days, hours): Monday - Thursday, 10:00 p.m. - 6:00 a.m.; Friday, 6:00 p.m. - 2:00 a.m.
Salary Range: B-39
Salary: Steps 1 - 6: $3,652- $4,663 per month
Shift Differential: Shift differential eligibility based on the current collective bargaining agreement
Open Date: 11/12/2020
Initial Screening Date: 01/11/2021
Open Until Filled: Yes
Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled; however, those submitted by 11:59 p.m. (PST) on January 11, 2021, are assured consideration.
Applicants must submit all of the following materials online unless otherwise noted at Mt.SAC Employment Website to be considered for this position:
1. A Mt. San Antonio College online application.
2. A detailed résumé that summarizes educational preparation and professional experience for the position.
Health & Welfare:
The College contributes an annual premium up to the family coverage amount for Kaiser Permanente $15 office visit medical, DeltaCare HMO dental, VSP vision and life insurance plans. Lifetime retirement benefits provided for eligible retirees.
The District participates in the Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS), State Teachers’ Retirement System (STRS) retirement programs, and National Benefit Services.
*Note Salary and Health & Welfare Benefits are subject to change
Under general supervision, performs a range of custodial duties and responsibilities to maintain a clean, healthy, and productive learning and working environment. Specifically, performs work related to the care, maintenance, and cleaning and sanitizing of assigned buildings and facilities; adjusts furniture and equipment as necessary; interacts with and provides basic information and assistance to the public.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general supervision from the assigned managerial personnel. Provides basic instructions or training to temporary employees and/or staff.
This is the journey-level I in the custodial class series that performs the full range of duties required to ensure that College buildings and facilities provide the highest level of safety for public and staff use. Work is often performed in an assigned area and may involve working around other College staff and/or the public, depending upon assignment. Positions at this level receive only occasional instruction or assistance as new or unusual situations arise and are fully aware of the operating procedures and policies of the work unit. This class is distinguished from Custodian II in that the latter is responsible for more technical duties, uses heavy duty equipment, is able to address more advanced stages of pathogens, and is capable of performing the most complex duties assigned to the function.
Essential Duties/Major Responsibilities:
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (Illustrative Only)
1. Performs custodial activities within assigned areas; sweeps, scrubs, mops, strips, waxes, and polishes floors; vacuums rugs and carpets in classrooms, offices, workshops, and other work areas; spot cleans and shampoos carpets.
2. Cleans classrooms, cafeterias, gymnasiums, auditoriums, lounges, offices, locker rooms, hallways, elevators, and other facilities as assigned; dusts and polishes furniture and woodwork; empties waste receptacles; spot mops spills; removes gum, debris, and graffiti as needed.
3. Cleans and disinfects drinking fountains and restroom facilities, including sinks, toilets, and urinals; fills dispensers with towels, soap, toilet paper, and other items; washes mirrors, tile, walls, and windows with standard and specialized cleaning equipment; unclogs drains and toilets.
4. Cleans, disinfects, and sanitizes areas utilizing recommended processes when anyone is exposed to human blood, blood by-products, or other potentially infectious materials according to Occupational Safety and Heath Administration’s (OSHA) Blood-Borne Pathogen Standards and the Center for Disease Control (CDC) guidelines for Disinfection and Sterilization guide.
5. Picks up paper and other debris from College grounds, walkways, and areas adjacent to College facilities; sweeps concrete surfaces adjacent to College buildings.
6. Operates custodial equipment such as vacuums, mops, small hand and power tools, buffer/scrubber machines, automatic scrubber (both ride on and walk behind), pick-up machine, extractor, steamer, bonneting, and other equipment as assigned.
7. Performs minor maintenance to buildings and adjacent grounds; replaces light bulbs and tubes; cleans chalkboards, white boards, trays, and erasers; empties pencil sharpeners; cleans tables, chairs, and floors.
8. Moves and arranges furniture and equipment; prepares classrooms, gymnasiums, and other facilities for special events or meetings as assigned; sets up and assembles chairs, tables, and other furniture and equipment; cleans up furniture, equipment, and debris following events.
9. Locks and unlocks doors, gates, and windows as appropriate; turns lights on and off as needed; maintains security of assigned areas according to established guidelines; sets alarms as appropriate.
10. Reports safety, sanitary, and fire hazards to appropriate personnel; reports need for maintenance and repairs to appropriate authority, and reports unauthorized individuals, as necessary.
11. Participates in the thorough cleaning and restoration of campus facilities during student semester break periods.
12. Maintains work areas in a clean and orderly condition, including securing equipment at the close of the workday.
13. Provides needed information and demonstrations concerning how to perform certain work tasks to new employees; observes safe work methods and makes appropriate use of related safety equipment as required.
14. Assists in maintaining records of maintenance and cleaning activities; inventory of equipment and supplies for assigned area(s).
15. Participates on committees, task forces, and special assignments, including, but not limited to Screening and Selection Committees and affiliated trainings. Prepares and delivers oral presentations related to assigned areas if needed.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
1. Methods, materials, and equipment used in custodial work and basic and preventative building maintenance.
2. Proper cleaning methods and the safe usage of cleaning materials, disinfectants, custodial tools, and equipment.
3. Proper use and minor maintenance of hand and power tools, blowers, and equipment used in custodial work.
4. Basic facility maintenance techniques and materials.
5. Basic principles and procedures of record keeping.
6. Safe work methods and safety practices pertaining to the work.
7. Safe driving rules and practices.
8. Techniques for providing a high level of customer service by effectively dealing with the public, vendors, students, and College staff, including individuals of various ages, disabilities, socio-economic, and ethnic groups.
Skills and Abilities:
Skills & Abilities to:
1. Use and operate a variety of custodial equipment, including high-pressure washer, vacuum cleaner, wet/dry vacuum, carpet extractor, buffer, mop, broom, and window washing equipment.
2. Clean and care for assigned areas and equipment.
3. Operates a variety of hand and power tools and equipment related to work assignment as instructed.
4. Follow department policies and procedures related to assigned duties.
5. Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
6. Organize own work, set priorities, and meet critical time deadlines.
7. Use English effectively to communicate in person, over the telephone, and in writing.
8. Learns and applies emerging technologies and, as necessary, to perform duties in an efficient, organized, and timely manner.
9. Review situations accurately and determine appropriate course of action using judgment according to established policies and procedures.
10. Establish, maintain, and foster positive and effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Minimum Qualifications/Education & Experience:
Experience equivalent to sufficient training and experience to demonstrate the knowledge and abilities listed above.
License(s) & Other Requirements:
Incumbents work in buildings and facilities and are occasionally exposed to loud noise levels, controlled temperatures, confining workspace, chemicals, mechanical and/or electrical hazards, and hazardous physical substances and fumes. Incumbents may interact with staff and/or public and private representatives, and contractors in interpreting and enforcing departmental policies and procedures.
Must possess mobility to work in various College buildings and facilities; strength, stamina, and mobility to perform light to medium physical work, to operate a motor vehicle, and to operate varied hand and power tools and related equipment; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone or radio. Finger dexterity is needed to access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer keyboard or calculator and to operate above-mentioned tools and equipment. Positions in this classification bend, stoop, kneel, reach, and climb to perform work and inspect work sites. Incumbents must possess the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects up to 50 pounds.
Conditions of Employment:
Official offers of employment are made by Mt. San Antonio College Human Resources and are made contingent upon Board approval. It is also required that a final offer of employment will only be made after the candidate has successfully been live-scanned and clearance for employment is authorized by Human Resources. Costs for live-scan services shall be borne by the candidate.
Notice to all prospective employees - The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in Administrative Procedure 3518, titled Child Abuse Reporting, as a condition of employment.
As required by the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Mt. San Antonio Community College Annual Security Report is available here: Mt. SAC Annual Security Report 2017
The person holding this position is considered a ‘Responsible Employee’ under Title IX of the Educational Amendments Act of 1972 and is required to report to the College’s Title IX Coordinator all relevant details reported to him or her about an incident of alleged sexual misconduct including sexual harassment, sexual assault, dating and domestic violence and stalking.
Typing Certificate Requirements:
Please note: A confirmation number will be assigned when your application packet indicates the supplemental questions have been answered and a document has been attached to each required link. Assistance with the online application process is available through the Office of Human Resources at 1100 N. Grand Avenue, Walnut, CA 91789-1399. Human Resources: (909) 274-4225. E-mail: [email protected].
DO NOT include photographs or any demographic information (e.g. D.O.B, place of birth, etc.) on your application or supporting documents.
TRAVEL POLICY: Costs associated with travel in excess of 150 miles one way from residence for the purpose of an interview will be reimbursed up to $500 maximum. Relocation costs will be borne by the successful candidate. Travel reimbursement claims (original receipts) must be submitted no later than 30 days following the interview date.
Foreign Transcripts: Transcripts issued outside the United States require a course-by-course analysis with an equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. This report must be attached with the application and submitted by the filing deadline.
Human Resources (909) 274-4225. E-mail: [email protected].
A committee will evaluate applications, taking into account breadth and depth of relevant education, training, experience, skills, knowledge, and abilities. The screening committee reserves the right to limit the number of interviews granted. Meeting the minimum qualifications for a position does not assure the applicant of an interview.
Interviews may include a writing sample, committee presentation, and/or performance test. The start date will be following Board approval and receipt of live scan clearance.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
To be guaranteed consideration, it is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all required materials are received before the initial screening date and time indicated on the job posting. Incomplete application packets will not be considered. All application materials will become College property, will not be returned, and will not be copied. Please visit our employment website at Mt. SAC Employment Website to complete and submit your application for this position.
The College is an equal opportunity employer. The policy of the College is to encourage applications from ethnic and racial minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and Vietnam-era veterans. No person shall be denied employment because of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex (gender), age, sexual orientation, or the perception that a person has one or more of these characteristics.
Conflict of Interest:
Mt. San Antonio College employees and the Board of Trustees members shall not engage in any employment or activity that is inconsistent with, incompatible with, or in conflict with Mt. San Antonio College’s Administrative Procedures (AP 2710 Conflict of Interest, AP 2712 Conflict of Interest Codes).
Cancel RTF Policy:
WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO RE-OPEN, RE-ADVERTISE, DELAY OR CANCEL FILLING THIS POSITION.
THIS RECRUITMENT MAY BE USED TO FILL FUTURE VACANCIES.
To apply, visit https://hrjobs.mtsac.edu/postings/7831
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency