Posting Number: SRGV4661
Number of Vacancies: 1
Location: Edinburg, Texas
Department: Environmental Health, Safety and Risk Management
Scope of Job:
To provide advanced skills and expertise in the operation and support of environmental health, safety and risk management programs in accordance with rules, guidelines and regulations and best management practices in order to ensure and maintain a safe working environment.
Description of Duties:
• Participates in the evaluation and implementation of controls applicable to the following environmental health and safety related programs: Occupational Health and Safety, Facilities and Fire Safety, Laboratory Safety, Environmental, Emergency Response, and Risk Management programs.
• Evaluates and ensures that the university properties and personnel are in compliance with local, state, and federal rules and regulations applicable to the workplace and environment.
• Coordinates and assists UTRGV faculty, staff and students understand and comply with rules, regulations, and best management practices related to the workplace and the environment.
• Communicates with federal, state, and local regulatory agencies concerning compliance and emerging standards, and acts as professional liaison in case of government agency inspections.
• Reviews and compiles all assigned environmental health and safety related manuals and ensures they are kept up to date.
• Provides training and maintains training records for the university community regarding the following areas: Occupational Health and Safety, Laboratory safety, Facilities and Fire Safety, Environmental Protection, and Risk Management. Responsible for planning, conducting and reporting of occupational health and safety surveys and accident investigations and makes recommendations for corrective actions.
• Conducts, documents and ensures compliance for facilities, fire, construction, indoor air quality, and asbestos related inspections and recommends corrective actions if needed.
• Conducts and properly documents laboratory related chemical, biological, and radiation related inspections in accordance with applicable rules and regulations and related agencies.
• Responsible for maintaining records and files of all surveys, inspections and incidences to assure compliance with departmental, local, state and federal rules and regulations.
• Advises and communicates to faculty, staff and students on the proper handling of chemical, radioactive or biological materials to prevent work related incidences.
• Participates in the collection, storage, and disposal of chemical, biological, radioactive, and facilities related waste streams.
• Reviews construction and renovation projects or activities to ensure compliance with UTRGV, local, state and federal rules, regulations and BMP’s.
• Participates and engages in UTRGV’s emergency response program which includes response to emergencies related to hazardous materials, as well as natural related disasters.
• Participates in UTRGV’s risk management program in the evaluation and abatement of risks associated with the university environment.
• Maintains current knowledge of policies, guidelines and regulations from regulating agencies.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
General supervision from assigned supervisor.
May supervise assigned support staff.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited University in basic or applied science, engineering, or environmental health and safety related field.
Master’s degree from an accredited University in basic or applied science, engineering, or environmental health and safety related field.
As condition of employment this position requires the applicant to be authorized to operate a University-Owned Vehicle for Official University Business. Per University of Texas System Policy 157, applicants will be subject to a motor vehicle record check for their most recent thirty-six (36) month history. Out of State Drivers are required to submit a 36-month history MVR from their prior State of residence(s). Other licensing may be required after employment such as: Commercials Driver’s License (CDL). Ability to achieve technical or professional certifications such as: CHMM, CSP, CIH, CHP, REM or equivalent within four years of hire.
One (1) year experience in the environmental, health, safety and risk management profession.
The above experience at a comparable college or university.
Proficiency required in the use of PC’s and related spreadsheet, word processing, and database software. Basic knowledge of industrial hygiene and environmental related equipment such as personal sampling pumps, noise dosimeters, anemometers, and indoor air quality analytical instruments.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Must have the ability to function with other program personnel as one cohesive unit. Travel to other UTRGV campus locations is required. Some after hours and weekend work is required. May be on call after hours to respond to emergency situations.
Potential exposure to hazardous conditions and/or materials. Must be able to lift, push or pull up to 50 pounds occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds frequently.
This position will be subject to a pre-employment physical. Written submission of HepB vaccination and TB Test. Must be able to be fit tested for use of an air purifying respirator or PAPR respirator. Knowledge of OSHA regulations, state and federal Environmental Health and Safety rules and regulations. Ability to communicate with individuals of all level of experience and knowledge regarding environmental health & safety programs.
Physical Capabilities: N/A
Employment Category: Full-Time
Minimum Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Posted Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date: 09/22/2020
Grant Funded Position: No
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date:
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the civil rights act of 1964, the title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures non discrimination in it’s education programs and activities, including employment.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
*Date of Birth
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley reserves the right to discontinue accepting applications prior to the stated close date of this position, after meeting the posting requirement of three (3) calendar days.
If you have any questions, please visit our Careers site at https://careers.utrgv.edu for detailed contact information.
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/26373
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency