PRODUCT MANAGER,WBURTracking Code1744 Job Description
WBUR, Boston’s NPR news station, is a public media organization committed to exceptional journalism and deep civic engagement — providing news, analysis, and entertainment to Boston and beyond. WBUR airs the national radio programs Here & Now and On Point, reaching millions of listeners each week on more than 500 public radio stations nationwide. WBUR also produces award-winning podcasts including Circle Round and Endless Thread. And WBUR’s primary mission is serving the Boston community, with the largest public radio newsroom in the country and CitySpace, a dynamic, new event venue for civic discourse and cultural exchange.
This is an exciting time to join WBUR. We have been broadcasters for 70 years and have fostered deep and lasting relationships with our radio audience. Our job now is to deepen and broaden that connection with our digital audiences, in ways that ensure our long-term financial sustainability. WBUR has a robust technical infrastructure and a track record of creating innovative digital experiences. With this foundation in place, we are well-positioned to implement our strategic vision.
We are seeking a Product Manager to join WBUR’s newly formed Product team of developers, product managers, and data analysts. Working with collaborators across the station, we launch, maintain, and expand editorial products including radio shows, website features, podcasts, microcosm, and smart speakers skills, to be distributed locally and nationally, on traditional and emerging distribution platforms. The ideal candidate has experience working with a wide variety of digital technologies, a passion for journalism and public media, and a desire to build the future for WBUR. This role is a mix of tactical, hands-on, urgent work and longer-term, strategic, impactful development.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Translate editorial and business goals into engaging and financially sustainable digital experiences with our journalism, using our existing platforms or identifying platforms that can grow new audience engagement and revenue. In doing this work, collaborate with cross-functional teams (content creators, marketers, developers, data analysts) in delivering quality products, always balancing our journalism goals, audience needs, editorial workflows, and technical capabilities.
- Establish the growth, engagement, and conversion metrics and goals for our products, and structure a team’s project work around achieving these goals. Work with our data analysts to streamline product analytics reporting.
- Manage projects to successful completion. Document project goals and tasks, including product objectives and KPIs.
- Troubleshoot audience experience issues raised by users and stakeholders to help ensure their resolution. Document and prioritize bugs.
- Negotiate and manage relationships with current and potential platform vendors.
- Be an internal subject-matter expert on relevant digital products and our business models. Stay apprised of industry trends and best practices, and bring these best practices to WBUR.
- College degree required. An advanced degree is a plus.
- At least a year's of experience in a digital product management role and/or demonstrated first-hand experience in growing, engaging, and converting audiences.
- Curiosity and passion for understanding and engaging audiences.
- Experience in journalism, public media, or non-profits a plus.
- Prior experience with digital platforms such as Website CMSs (WordPress), CRMs (Allegiance), audio streaming, and hosting platforms (WideOrbit, Megaphone, StreamGuys), Social media platforms, email marketing platforms (MailChimp), Advertising platforms (Google Ad Manager, Megaphone).
- Experience with audience analytics, both requesting and interpreting data.
- Experience with audience analytics sources (e.g. Google Analytics, Nielsen broadcast data) and in doing basic analysis (e.g. using Excel, Google Sheets)
- Able to build consensus and buy-in by effectively communicating strategic vision and value. Also able to clearly and concisely communicate technical, operational, and business requirements to a variety of stakeholders.
- Bias toward action and delivering value. Able to work through ambiguity to create focus and executable tasks.
- Proactive with high attention to detail, the ability to establish goals, prioritize activities, and follow-through to completion.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.Job Location BOSTON, Massachusetts, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular