Under general supervision, performs journey-level painting and furniture refinishing work of considerable difficulty in all university buildings to include occupied student housing facilities.Typical Duties/Job Duties:
1. Reads work order or receives instructions from supervisor concerning painting projects; plans and organizes tasks to ensure completion of project in an efficient and timely manner.
2. Applies coats of paint, varnish, stain, enamel, or lacquer using brushes, sponge, spray gun, or roller to decorate and/or protect interior and exterior building surfaces, furniture, machinery, or equipment.
3. Prepares surfaces for painting using paint remover, sandpaper, scraper, steel wool, or wire brush; fills nail holes, cracks and joints with caulk, putty, plaster, or other filler, using caulking gun and putty knife; applies textures to match existing surfaces.
4. Removes fixtures such as pictures and electric switch covers from walls prior to painting; spreads drop cloths over floors and room furnishings; covers surfaces such as baseboards, door frames and windows with masking tape and paper or plastic to protect surfaces during painting.
5. Erects scaffolding or sets up ladders and safety equipment to perform tasks above ground level.
6. Selects premixed paints or mixes requiring portions of pigment, oil, and thinning and drying substances to prepare paint that matches specified colors.
7. Prepares and refinishes furniture and other misc items.
8. Cleans up area painted when project completed by removing drop cloths and paint drippings; cleans brushes, spray guns, rollers and other equipment using paint solvent.
9. Tapes and floats drywall; applies wall coverings.
10. Re-stripes parking lots.
11. Other duties as assigned
Knowledge of the methods, practices, tools, equipment and materials of the painting trade;
Knowledge of the proper preparation of surfaces to be painted;
Knowledge of the proper method of mixing and matching all types of paints and the adaptability of various surface materials;
Knowledge of furniture touchup and refinishing;
Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the painting trade;
Knowledge of applicable University policies and procedures;
Ability to calculate square footage of areas to be painted and determine materials needed;
Ability to perform painting and related general labor work in a variety of climatic conditions;
Ability to follow written and verbal instructions and complete work as assigned;
Ability to read, understand and utilize operation and maintenance manuals, paint application instructions, policies, procedures and other related materials;
Ability to use or operate with proficiency the tools and equipment of the painting trade;
Skilled in oral communications;
Skilled in mixing paints and in matching and blending colors;
Skilled in the application of paints, varnishes, and other finishes.
Use of personal protective equipment to include gloves, eye protection, respirators etc…
Equipment used: vehicle, hand tools, spray paint equipment, ladders and scaffold equipment
Must have excellent customer service skills to work around students, faculty and staff.
Minimum of two years painter/finisher or closely related experience. Apprenticeship programs and/or background in construction trades from accredited educational facilities will be considered in lieu of work experience.
Must have a valid Texas driver’s license and have a driving record acceptable to the University’s insurance company.
Applicant must pass a pre-employment physical and a background check.Physical Requirements:
Position requires frequent walking, standing, climbing and bending, and occasional carrying and lifting (up to 50 lbs.). Visual and hearing acuity, as well as normal color vision, are needed. Basic manual dexterity with both hands is required, and both feet are utilized in the operation of equipment and/or vehicles. Ability to power grip tools is also necessary.
Incumbent works primarily indoors and has regular exposure to dust, chemicals, fumes, and sharp instruments. Occasional exposure to inclement weather conditions when outdoor work is required..
Angelo State University is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to promoting and ensuring equal employment opportunity for all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Angelo State University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to employment opportunities for qualified individuals with disabilities. We are committed to ensuring that a qualified individual with a disability has the same rights and privileges in employment as non-disabled employees. If an accommodation is requested for the job application process, please contact our office at (325) 942-2168 or email us at [email protected].Posting Number:
10/28/2020Open Until Filled: