PG190693EPInternal Recruitment :
Research ScholarAnticipated Hiring Range:
$65,000 - $66,000Work Schedule:
Monday - Friday 8-5Job Location:
Raleigh, NCDepartment :
DELTAAbout the Department:
DELTA’s role within the Office of the Provost is to foster the integration and support of learning technologies in NC State’s academic programs, both on the campus and at a distance. We coordinate the funding and production of all distance-based credit programs and courses for the university, and promote high-quality education by extending the reach of the faculty and collaboratively applying expertise in technology and pedagogy in an efficient, effective, and service-oriented environment.Essential Job Duties:
The DELTA Research Scholar will play a professional research and strategic role in DELTA’s growing body of work related to the effectiveness of digital learning and digital teaching pedagogical practices. The position will provide leadership and vision for research and assessment designed to support DELTA Senior Management and unit directors/managers by providing consistent and reliable data for measuring the progress towards strategic planning goals and to inform effective decision making.
The position reports to the Director, DELTA Planning and Assessment and performs as a core member of this in-house team, while working collaboratively with instructional designers, instructional technologists, multimedia specialists, learning technology systems support, NC State faculty as well as the graduate school and other university personnel. The Planning and Assessment team plays a key role in maintaining a culture of data-informed decision making to promote student success and maintain continuity in online, blended, and HyFlex courses. The research environment for this position is collaborative and team oriented.
- Provides leadership and oversight of moderately to largely complex research initiatives and/or projects in DELTA.
- Serves as a point of contact for data collection, data requests, and research conducted within DELTA and for DELTA and cross-departmental collaborations; including research coordination, design, review, interpretation, and reporting.
- Oversees development of and monitors integrity of data collection that aligns with unit and Research Administration and Compliance policies and guidance.
- Collect and organize data and analysis to provide evidence for DELTA’s impact on the digital teaching and learning experience and operational effectiveness.
- Serves as an authoritative source of consultation for academic publications and presentations.
- Implements effective research design and quantitative/qualitative analysis to obtain valid and reliable data.
- Works with DELTA units and NC State faculty and staff to identify and support research that encourages the transformation of knowledge into meaningful action.
- Work with the campus community on research and other efforts that focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Consults, as appropriate, with NC State Registration and Records, Office of Institutional Research and Planning and other departments regarding data request and survey registration and scheduling.
- Recruitment and supervision of postdoctoral research scholars to support cross-team research in DELTA
- Supports the director in other evaluation, assessment, and research efforts for DELTA units
- Operates with considerable latitude in un-reviewed action or decisions
- Develops and participates in conference presentations, workshops, cross-training and/or faculty development initiatives as directed.
• Partner with other campus professionals to identify and help implement optimal student services
• Assist with DE unit programming activities delivered through workshops, Internet technology, group presentations, outreach and other settings.
• Represent Distance Education courses and programs in outreach activities, education fairs, and visitor presentations and discussions
• Assist Director, Distance Education Administrative Services and Associate Vice Provost, Distance and Distributed Education with State Authorization processes and other support initiatives
• Assist with evaluation and updates of distance education policies and procedures to incorporate best practices and ensure compliance with university standards
• Master’s degree in Higher Education, Counselor Education or related discipline
• Minimum of two years academic advising experience at the college/university level
• Knowledge of and experience with distance education programs and instruction
- Quantitative and qualitative assessment training and experience, with expertise in research design and analysis including the use of appropriate statistical tools and software packages to deliver surveys and analyze data (i.e. Qualtrics, SAS, SPSS, Stata, or similar systems)
- Strong foundational knowledge of distance education and blended learning pedagogy, including emerging methods of teaching and learning using instructional technology (i.e., competency-based learning, authentic learning)
- Experience implementing research strategies to collect, analyze, and report research findings on the effectiveness of technology supported teaching and learning
- Ability to analyze data, write reports, present findings to faculty, administrators, DELTA Directors/Managers and DELTA’s Senior Management Team, and non-scientific audiences
- Ability to collaboratively lead discussions regarding research findings and make recommendations for future action
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with academic report writing, and publication submission processes and guidelines
- Experience using survey building tools (i.e., Qualtrics, Google Forms or similar systems)
• Strong student orientation; commitment to student success
• Understanding of and experience working with nontraditional students and diverse populations
• Public speaking and written communication skills, and excellent interpersonal skills
• Strong organizational and time management skills to effectively work with large student population
N/AValid NC Driver's License required:
NoCommercial Driver's License required:
NoJob Open Date:
11/12/2020Anticipated Close Date:
Open Until Filled.Position Number:
EHRA Non-FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Non Mandatory - Emergency EventIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
339001 - DELTAAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.