Manager, Research Administration
Manager, Research Administration
Job Number: 87791
Manager, Research Administration
Job Code: 4484
Job Grade: J
FTE: 100%, Exempt, Continuous
School of Engineering, Office of the Dean
Are you ready for the next step in your research administration career? Are you excited by an opportunity to lead and develop a team? Do you want to be part of a dynamic team that supports cutting-edge research at a top-tier research institution? If so, this may be the job for you!
The School of Engineering (SoE)
SoE has been at the forefront of innovation for nearly a century, creating pivotal technologies that have transformed the worlds of information technology, communications, health care, energy, business, and beyond. Our faculty and students are creative risk-takers who pursue excellence across a breadth of disciplines. Our alumni include some of the world's most successful leaders in technology and business. Our staff facilitate SoE's efforts to accomplish its mission: seeking solutions to some of the world's most urgent challenges and educating leaders who will make the world a better place through the power of engineering principles, techniques, and systems.
On behalf of eight SoE academic departments, Engineering Research Administration (ERA) administers approximately 920 annual awards and over $120 million in annual sponsored research. ERA is a high-volume and productive administrative unit, and ERA staff collectively manage the pre- and post-award activities for a complex portfolio of sponsored awards (from over 290 different funders). ERA is looking for a Manager who will oversee a team of Research Administrators (RAs) and the management of the pre-award, proposal preparation, and post-award activities for a diverse set of sponsored projects. These portfolios include federal and non-federal sponsors, and involve multiple sub-awards, principal investigators, and/or cross-school initiatives. You will serve as a subject matter expert in these areas, and you will be responsible for developing, implementing, and managing support functions and programs to share this expertise.
As Manager, you:
Have the opportunity to shape, guide, and manage a dynamic team of RAs. We are looking for a leader who will foster communication, build good working relationships within the unit and across campus, develop team support and rapport, elevate customer service, produce compliant and accurate work, and simplify the flow of work among the faculty, ERA, and Stanford's Office of Sponsored Research. As many RAs work near their respective Principal Investigators (PIs) to enable good communication and rapport, you may manage staff in multiple office locations.
You will have a direct reporting line to the Director of ERA, and will be an integral part of ERA's leadership team. To help ensure the needs of the departments are met, you will also have a dotted-line reporting structure to the respective Director(s) of Finance and Operations (DFOs) of the departments that your team supports.
In this role, some of your specific responsibilities will be to:
- Onboard new staff; build and support a cohesive and productive team; delegate tasks and projects; manage team workload volume; monitor the timely and accurate completion of work; mentor and manage staff; develop staff-centric development plans and identify tools/resources to promote success; conduct performance appraisals and ongoing assessments.
- Identify staff training, performance, and development needs; participate in and refer staff to training; work with ERA Training Specialist and other resource providers to develop training tools and programs; ensure the continuous improvement and development of team members in the field of research administration and in customer service, finance and general administration.
- Assist team members in developing proposals for a large and diverse collection of external funding agencies; review departmental proposals for soundness and compliance with proposal guidelines; help team interpret complex regulations, rules, policies, and procedures; provide advice and guidance to ensure the team's operations comply with policies and guidelines set forth by ERA and the University; oversee the closeout of grants and contracts, periodic updates to files, and distribution of all official notices; provide financial management services to PIs and administrators within the Department.
- Serve as the team's subject-matter expert on pre-and post-award research administration; keep apprised of the increasing number of complex sponsor requirements; serve as a “working lead” by managing staff and administering a portfolio of contracts and grants; provide short-term backup coverage within the team or other ERA teams during times of heavy workload, absences, etc.; serve as a subject matter expert and resource to other ERA teams.
- Solve complex problems; escalate issues to senior management when necessary; follow up with a resolution; participate in strategic decision-making in ERA; attend and periodically lead ERA's staff meetings; participate in and/or lead process improvement projects in or on behalf of ERA.
- Serve as primary point of contact for client departments and their DFOs when escalation or additional review is needed; collaborate with client departments to improve service model and understanding of research administration; participate in training with client departments as needed.
To be successful in this role, you demonstrate:
- A Bachelor's degree and seven years of job related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- High-degree of proficiency in pre-and post-research administration including financial management; in-depth knowledge of governmental regulations.
- Familiarity managing the research administrative activities for a large number of diverse external funding sources.
- Ability to independently interpret complex policies; direct experience implementing policies throughout a large operation. Experience working successfully with PIs and their administrative staff; mission-driven and able to understand and communicate the importance of research to PIs, departments, and the School; committed to consistently providing excellent customer service.
- Experience hiring, supervising, managing, and motivating staff; ability to effectively delegate and prioritize work and balance workload assignments; ability to manage the completion of a high volume of work, some of which is cyclical.
- Ability to independently meet deadlines; experience holding a position in which being a self-starter was essential; strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrated success in performing meticulous, high-quality, and compliant work.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English; excellent communication skills; strong interpersonal skill including tact, diplomacy, and flexibility.
- Available to work periodically after normal business hours, when such flex hours are necessary to ensure, for example, the successful submission of an important proposal.
- Excellent analytical skills, including proficiency in utilizing and creating spreadsheets (Microsoft Excel).
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. In order to be considered, a cover letter and resume must be submitted along with your online application. Your one-page cover letter should briefly describe your background in customer service and provide examples of your experience with attention to detail, responsiveness, and decision-making.
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4484
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: J
- Department URL: http://surgery.stanford.edu/
- Requisition ID: 87791
Location: School of Engineering, Stanford, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency