Senior Cytogenetic Technologist
DescriptionUniversity of Colorado | CU Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine/Department of Pathology
Health Care Sr. Professional (Senior Cytogenetic Technologist)
Position # 00002767 – Requisition #19564
This position performs highly complex diagnostic cytogenomic testing utilizing standard and high resolution chromosome analysis, fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) studies, and/or chromosomal microarray and SNP array analysis. Specimen processing includes samples for prenatal diagnosis, postnatal constitutional investigations, and cancer diagnosis and treatment follow-up. Additional duties include reviewing cases completed by other staff members for accuracy, thoroughness, and interpretation prior to review by the Lab Directors; previewing cases to assure the appropriateness of the test request for the clinical indication and sample type received; assuming responsibility for decisions related to process and workflow operations of the section; participation in laboratory quality control, assurance and improvement; and development and implementation of new tests as the field of cytogenomics continues to progress. This position must adhere to established operating procedures, policies, and guidelines, and is thus responsible for contributing to an environment conducive to effective, accurate and efficient mission and value driven operations. Professional Field
Cytogenetics Supervision Received
Reports directly to the Section Supervisors Supervision Exercised
Work leader – partially accountable for work product of othersExamples of Work Performed
- Chromosome analysis, FISH scoring and/or microarray analysis, imaging/scanning, case summary and interpretation. Performs chromosome analysis, FISH scoring, and/or microarrray analysis to identify numerical and structural abnormalities associated with genetic diseases and neoplastic processes; prepares digitized images of karyotypes or FISH preparations using a computerized imaging system; analyzes and summarizes microarray data generated by DNA scanner; correlates chromosome results with microarray and FISH results; summarizes case analysis and prepares standard and complex interpretations for review by the Laboratory Directors; and participates in proficiency testing as required by CAP. This position is responsible for organizing and prioritizing work assignments.
- Preview and/or review of cases. Reviews clinical indication, sample received, and process choices prior to completion of sample processing; identifies case priorities for reading and adequate turn-around-time.
- Sample processing and preparation for analysis. This position participates in sample processing and preparation and staining of slides for analysis; participates in quality control and quality assurance protocols.
- Assume responsibility for decisions related to process and workflow operations in the section, in the absence of the supervisor
- This lead position takes responsibility for decisions related to process and workflow operations in the section, as needed in the absence of the supervisor
- Special lab process or function. Under the direction of a Supervisor, Manager or Director, this position is responsible for a specific process or function within a section or the lab as a whole.
- Participation in orientation, training, and continuing education. Participates in the orientation and training of new employees, genetics students, residents, and other health care professionals in cytogenetic, FISH, and/or array processing and analysis; actively contributes to the continued advancement of lab-wide teaching / training capabilities; identifies and assists when additional training of employees is needed; participates in applicable laboratory and community educational opportunities and conferences to stay abreast of developments in the field and maintain current professional certification.
The hiring range for this position begins at $52,690 and is commensurate with skills and experience.Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: http://www.cu.edu/node/153125Diversity and Equity:
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the employment application process. To request an accommodation pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact the Human Resources ADA Coordinator at [email protected] The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
- BS/BA in a biological science
- American Society of Clinical Pathology (ASCP) certification as a Technologist in Cytogenetics (CG)
- 2 years experience as a certified cytogenetic technologist
- Able to pass a color-blind test
- Experience with fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) sample preparation and analysis
- Experience in FISH probe validation
- Experience with FISH on paraffin embedded specimens, limitations and interpretation of results
- Solid understanding of which FISH probes are applicable to which diseases
- Experience correlating FISH finding with cytogenetics
- Experience using ISCN for FISH reports, with FISH report writing experience
- Ability to perform back-up analysis at microscope or computer to confirm unusual FISH findings
- Understands proper handling of infectious materials and hazardous chemicals
- Understanding of cytogenetic, FISH, and/or array technologies
- Commitment to quality, accuracy and attention to detail
- Analytical individual with team-based problem-solving skills
- Ability to organize, manage and meet diverse workloads and deadlines
- Communicates effectively with peers, supervisor, faculty and other personnel
- Self-motivated learner and teacher
- Computer skills in database, word processing, spreadsheet software
- Team oriented, adaptable and demonstrates sound judgment in a changing environment
- Asks for assistance and guidance when appropriate
- Maintains an understanding of HIPAA rules/regulations and CAP laboratory accreditation standards
- Basic use and maintenance of laboratory equipment
- Familiarity with medical terminology in a laboratory setting
Job Category: Health Care
Primary Location: Aurora
Posting Date: Nov 12, 2020
Unposting Date: Ongoing