Business Manager II
Business Manager IIDepartment:
Pharmacy Pharm & Biomedical SciencesAbout the University of Georgia:
The University of Georgia (UGA), a land-grant and sea-grant university with statewide commitments and responsibilities is the state’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education (http://www.uga.edu/). UGA is currently ranked among the top 20 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The University’s main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton. UGA was founded in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly as the first state-chartered University in the country. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,600 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 36,000 students including over 27,500 undergraduates and over 8,500 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 17 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens.Posting Type:
TRS or ORPEmployment Type:
Benefits EligibleFull/Part time:
Full TimeAdditional Schedule Information:
Work schedule is typically M-F, 8 am- 5 pm.Advertised Salary:
Commensurate with ExperiencePosting Date:
11/11/2020Open until filled:
11/23/2020Proposed Starting Date:
12/14/2020Location of Vacancy:
Athens AreaEEO Policy Statement:
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status. Persons needing accommodations or assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this search are encouraged to contact Central HR ([email protected]).Classification Title:
Business Operations ProfessionalFLSA:
Requires at least a baccalaureate degree in the field. Please contact your Human Resources office for an evaluation of education/experience in lieu of the required minimum qualifications.Position Summary:
The Business Manager is a highly responsible administrative position that involves complex and general duties and the ability to work in concert with both the Department Head and the College-wide Business Affairs Manager to oversee all fiscal operations of the department. Major responsibilities include coordinating and managing all business functions for the department, assisting the Department Head in budget development, fiscal management, departmental operations, and personnel management. It is essential for the individual in the role to have exceptional project coordination and managerial skills and experience, and be responsible, independent, and adhere completely to confidentiality requirements with all fiscal and personnel data and records. The Departmental Business Manager position will report to the Department Head with a dotted line to the College Business Affairs Manager.Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies:
- High level of communication, management and leadership skills.
- Significant project management experience including an ability to balance and effectively manage competing priorities and consistently deliver objectives on time.
- A degree in Accounting or Business.
- Supervisory experience.
- Self-motivated with ability to work autonomously.
- Solutions-oriented – problem-solving and identifying viable alternatives.
- Experience providing a high level of customer service in an academic environment.
- Positive attitude and professional maturity in stressful situations.
- High degree of personal integrity and ability to work with confidential and sensitive information.
- Experience and knowledge of UGA OneSource Financial and One USG Connect systems.
- Experience and knowledge of UGA and USG financial, administrative, and human resource policies and procedures.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Applications including Excel, web-based platforms and ability to easily train on new programs or systems.
Working in a normal office environment.Is driving a responsibility of this position?:
YesIs this a Position of Trust?:
YesDoes this position have operation, access, or control of financial resources?:
YesDoes this position require a P-Card? :
NoIs having a P-Card an essential function of this position? :
NoDoes this position have direct interaction or care of children under the age of 18 or direct patient care?:
NoDoes this position have Security Access (e.g., public safety, IT security, personnel records, patient records, or access to chemicals and medications):
YesCredit and P-Card policy:
Be advised a credit check will be required for all positions with financial responsibilities. For additional information about the credit check criteria, visit the UGA Credit Background Check website.Duties/Responsibilities:
Fiscal Management – reporting, analysis, internal controls
- Work closely with both the Department Head and College-wide Business Affairs Manager to oversee all fiscal operations of the department.
- Serve as the primary employee responsible for managing all state, sponsored project, indirect cost recovery, royalty, and sales and service funds for the department.
- Review, approve, and provide oversight for all financial transactions for state, indirect cost recovery, sponsored project, royalty, and sales and service funds. This includes review for policy compliance, determining the appropriateness and reasonableness of the estimated funds, and approving the chart string used for the funding source.
- Provide guidance and reports to the department head, department leadership team, and faculty on a monthly basis for all accounts including salary savings, indirect costs, start-up funds, sales and service accounts, etc. Additionally, provides adhoc guidance and analysis as needed for special projects and/or new initiatives.
- Provide oversight and training to the departmental submitters.
- Departmental Assistant Inventory Control Officer (AICO). Manage inventory and coordinate assignment of equipment with the IIT Director so ensure that equipment is assigned correctly in the system of record.
- Coordinate and finalize annual inventory reporting for the department.
- Work with College to determine space needs and assignments for department.
- Work with Facilities Manager to address building issues.
Budget Management – planning, analysis, projections
- Manage all assigned budgets throughout the fiscal year providing feedback, insight and notification to impacted departments/units.
- Provide assistance to the department head and faculty with budgetary and finance questions.
Personnel Management – staff supervision and management of daily workflow
- Manage the daily operations of the department.
- Supervise, recruit, interview and recommend hiring of office staff.
- Coordinate coverage for essential areas of the department.
- Communicate approved policies and procedures to faculty, graduate students, and staff.
- Provide oversight to assigned units for timecard approvals for Hourly and Salaried employees; training new employees on the systems as needed; provide guidance to supervisors and employees.
- Run and reconcile payroll reports for bi-weekly, monthly, and academic payrolls to ensure that all employees are included on the payroll and pay amounts are accurate for every payroll.
- Communicate separation requests and checklists with the College of Pharmacy Business Affairs Office on behalf of the department in timely and accurate manner.
- Establish a departmental orientation procedure for onboarding new hires and complete new hire checklists.
Human Resources Management/Coordination
- Work with Department Head on workforce planning and reporting to address the current and future needs of the Department.
- Work closely with the Human Resources Coordinator to initiate the recruiting, hiring and separation process.
- Prepare proposals to hire, critical hire requests, position evaluation forms, and other HR related forms needed to ensure requests and proposals are completed and submitted to HR Coordinator with the needed information from the department.
- Provide oversight and/or coordination of faculty and staff recruitment, screening and evaluation of all candidates for employment in collaboration with the College Human Resource Coordinator.
- Work closely with the Human Resource Coordinator on issues with employee relations and/or training needs.
Other duties as assigned
- Attend Training and Development classes to improve skills and keep abreast of new and changing policies and procedures relating to accounting, budgets, sponsored programs, human resources and other University policies and procedures.
- Attend central update meetings and represent the College on campus-wide and national committees and serve on other college committees or working groups as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned by Department Head or Business Affairs Manager.