Lead Custodian, Department of Facilities and Campus Services
Job location: Winston Salem, NC
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-11-11
- Additional documentation must be added at the bottom of the third screen under the "My Experience."
- Internal candidates must apply via the internal career portal. Do not proceed with your application from this website.
- DO NOT complete the application without the required attachments as you will be unable to edit your application.
• Ensures cleaning services are completed to department-defined standards.
• Maintains quality standards in accomplishment of non-routine cleaning and emergencies.
• Responds to customer concerns/requests and takes corrective action to resolve them, including timely follow up.
• Ensures that proper supply control guidelines are followed and staff is trained in use of all chemicals. Monitors safety of the workplace and ensures proper PPE are worn by custodians.
• Monitors staff attendance and takes proactive action when employee attendance violates Attendance Policy.
• Verifies equipment is operating in accordance with manufacturer guidelines. Submits equipment repair requests when equipment fails to operate correctly.
• Provides input to Manager regarding Performance Management program.
• Instructs and assists Custodians in cleaning procedures, techniques, cleaning problems, and in the use of new methods and products.
• Evaluates quality and quantity of daily work completed through observation and inspection.
• Leads assigned personnel to accomplish non-routine cleaning and assists with special projects.
• Ensures the following items are accomplished: emergency cleaning, report repairs as needed, schedule and staff events, hold meetings with staff, and other duties as assigned.
• Assists with ordering, distribution, and storage of chemicals, tools, equipment, and supplies so that employees always have resources to perform work in a safe, convenient, and productive manner.
• Conducts project work individually or collaboratively, as member of a work group, as directed by supervisors or managers; ensures completion in a timely manner.
• Ensures custodial closets are kept organized, products labeled, and stocked to ensure ample supplies to perform custodial duties (supplies to include cleaning products, toilet tissue, paper towels, etc.).
• Manages recordkeeping and administration of quality control program including completing management reports such as filter/solution change log, evaluating equipment log, completing checklist for distribution trays, and job cards.
• Assists supervisors with inspection and documents cleanliness of university facilities.
• Maintains work performance standards.
• Disseminates instructions from supervisors and managers to custodial group.
• Issues and receives keys; dispenses university and departmental communication.
• Follows Essential Employee Policies for F&CS Department as designated in Severe Weather Policy.
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
• Demonstrated knowledge of custodial and floor maintenance techniques.
• Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing with internal and external customers.
• Ability to communicate effectively in the English language.
• Proficiency in computer use and relevant software including email or ability to learn in a short period of time.
• Ability to operate standard custodial equipment.
• Ability to understand and implement safety policies for chemical and equipment use.
• Ability to observe, assess, and record work, safety, and infection control standards.
• Ability to ensure the proper use of equipment, mixing of chemicals, and observance of all safety rules and regulations and report all violations to the supervisor.
• Physical Requirements: climbing, stooping, kneeling, standing, walking either within your respective areas or between areas on campus, lifting up to 50 pounds, pushing, pulling, and grasping.
• Subject to both inside and outside environmental conditions including hazards.
Preferred Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
• High School plus five years related experience.
• Two years experience with custodial services in an institutional or commercial setting.
• Two years experience using custodial equipment.
• Responsible for own work.
• Supervises custodian workflow, safety, and quality of work.
Note: This position profile identifies the key responsibilities and expectations for performance. It cannot encompass all specific job tasks that an employee may be required to perform. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and perform job-related duties as may be reasonably assigned by his/her supervisor.Additional Job DescriptionTime Type RequirementFull timeNote to Applicant:This position profile identifies the key responsibilities and expectations for performance. It cannot encompass all specific job tasks that an employee may be required to perform. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and perform job-related duties as may be reasonably assigned by his/her supervisor.In order to provide a safe and productive learning and living community, Wake Forest University conducts background investigations and drug screens for all final staff candidates being considered for employment.Wake Forest seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce while promoting an inclusive work environment committed to excellence in the spirit of Pro Humanitate. In adherence with applicable laws and as provided by University policies, the University prohibits discrimination in its employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, genetic information, disability and veteran status and encourages qualified candidates across all group demographics to apply.