About Westfield State University:
In 1839, Horace Mann founded Westfield State University as the first public higher education institution without barrier to race, gender or economic class. Westfield State University is committed to a policy of non-discrimination, equal opportunity, diversity and affirmative action. We are dedicated to providing educational, working and living environments that value the diverse backgrounds of all people including minorities, women, veterans, individuals with disabilities and other protected persons, or individuals with diverse cultural backgrounds.
Westfield State is the most residential of the state universities in Massachusetts, with over 60% of our 5600 full-time undergraduate students living on campus. The campus is ideally situated on the edge of the Berkshire Mountains in western Massachusetts just 30 minutes from the thriving cultural centers of Northampton and Amherst, and 1.5 hours from both Boston and Albany.
Campus Title: Residence Director
State Job Title: Staff Assistant
Department: Residential Life
Job Code: HA5600
FLSA Status: Exempt
Bargaining Unit: APA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Timeframe: 43 weeks with an annual salary of $30,000.000 (possibility of 52 week employment with additional compensation)
Shift: Varies / Nights and weekends required
Regular Days Off: Varies / Nights and weekends required
Supervision Received: The Residence Director reports to the Director of Residential Engagement.
Supervision Exercised: The Residence Director supervises paraprofessional staff members.
General Statement of Duties:
The Staff Assistant/Residence Director (RD) is a 12-month live-in position*. The Residence Director plays a critical role in promoting the success and well-being of residents and in achieving the goals and objectives of the Department of Residential Life/Engagement and the Division of Student Affairs.
The Residence Director is comprehensively involved in the total community development of the residence hall, assisting residents with a full array of personal, developmental, academic and residency issues. The RD advises the hall council as applicable, supervises paraprofessional staff members, and serves as a vital communication link between residents, the department, and the University community. They also provide crucial support, on-site response and information on student matters both within and outside the Department of Residential Life/Engagement.
Residence Directors are expected to support the vision, mission, and values of the Department of Residential Life/Engagement, and their job responsibilities will fall within the following values:
Build Strong Inclusive Communities - We are inclusive and ensure equity, supporting the identity development of all community members and acknowledging multiple perspectives.
Collaboration with Each Other - We work with each other and campus partners to create a seamless student experience.
Student Development & Personal Growth - We provide tools and experiences that promote student growth and empower students to find and use their voice.
Student Service - Student needs, their feedback, and best practices in the field drive our decisions and services, and we maintain excellence and integrity in every interaction.
Social Justice - Residential Life/Engagement strives to create spaces that are validating for all social identities. While creating completely safe spaces might not be possible given the oppressive world in which we live, our goal is social justice and our work moves us closer to that goal every single day.
*January and summer weeks off to be determined by Director of Residential Engagement upon hire and annually thereafter.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties include but not limited to:
- Support the educational mission and goals of the Department of Residential Life/Engagement, the Division of Student Affairs, and the University with a primary emphasis on building a positive residence hall community and engaging students in their university experience.
- Serve as a student advocate and educator, helping residents to be positive and responsible members of the residential community. Work to get to know residents and be available and accessible to students on both a scheduled and non-scheduled basis, including regularly scheduled daytime, evening, and weekend hours; counsel and advise students on issues related to on-campus residency and their personal, social and academic development.
- Serve in the on-call duty rotation by responding to after hours and weekend emergencies in accordance with the University and Department's emergency response procedures and the direction of the Administrator on Call as applicable. Serve as initial review hearing officer, adjudicate conduct cases, and administer educational sanctions.
- Offer quality residence hall programs and services as outlined in the Residential Engagement Model that meet identified resident and campus needs; and provide these programs and services in an effective, efficient manner. Track RA staff and Hall Council programming initiatives, including budget monitoring.
- Develop a highly competent and committed building staff team through training, supervising, mentoring and evaluating staff members. Conduct weekly building staff meetings and at least bi-weekly individual supervision meetings. Develop positive, professional and effective working relationships with all members of the Residential Life/Engagement staff team.
- Advise the hall council as applicable by providing regular contact including attendance at meetings and events; offering support, guidance, and leadership and skill development activities; and promoting the formation of a cohesive, effective group. Support the initiatives of the Residence Hall Association.
- Work effectively with the Housing Operations staff and assist with operational tasks including hall opening, occupancy reporting, damage and incident reporting and tracking, and on-site monitoring of hall security facilities and maintenance matters.
- Represent Residential Life/Engagement on University committees and functions; or assist with Residential Engagement/Residential Life projects, functions and initiatives; and perform other duties as assigned by the Director or their designee.
- Bachelor's degree and one year of post-bachelor's work experience in Residential Life or a related field required.
- Strong knowledge, awareness, and skill related to diversity, social justice, equity, and inclusion.
- Positive attitude and strong work ethic, flexibility, and genuine concern for students' development and well-being.
- Excellent communication (oral and written), interpersonal, and organizational skills.
Westfield State University understands that persons with disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance regarding disability accommodations, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (413) 572-8106.
Employment at Westfield State University is contingent upon a background check that is satisfactory to the University. Failure to provide written authorization for a background check will nullify the offer of employment.
An on-line application is required. The successful candidate must submit an official transcript at the time of hire. Interested candidates should electronically attach the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Contact information for three references *
- Copy of unofficial transcript of highest degree
* Provide the contact information for reference providers in the reference section of the online application.
Deadline: The job posting will be open a minimum of ten days and, if needed, will remain open until finalists have been selected. .
NOTE: If you need assistance completing your application please contact our online Help Desk. The link to the help desk can be found at the top of the page via Contact Us.
Westfield State University provides equal access to employment opportunities for all applicants, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, age, disability or veteran status in compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and policies.
To apply, visit https://westfield.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=126343&CNTRNO=1&TSTMP=0
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency