Job no: 494269
Work type: Non-Classified/Professional
Location: Boise, ID
Categories: Academic Programs, Administration and Business Operations, Internal Opportunities
Advertised: November 11, 2020
Applications close: December 04, 2020
Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/boise-and-beyond/. Boise State University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Boise State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. We are a welcoming campus that supports diversity and inclusion.Job Summary/Basic Function:
This position is responsible for enforcement and interpretation of university policies and rules, and federal regulations that relate to academic standards, enrollment and student academic records; and the overall management of the Registrar's Office. Responsibilities includes registration of students in university programs; creation and maintenance of student records; oversight and maintenance of the automated records and registration system; development of the university directory of classes; scheduling of multipurpose classrooms; development of the university catalog; evaluation of transfer credits; evaluation of credits toward degree requirements; and determination of eligibility for participation NCAA athletic activities.Level Scope:
Oversees through subordinate Managers a large, complex organization with multiple functional disciplines/occupations, OR manages a program, regardless of size, that has critical impact upon the campus. Significant responsibility for formulating and administering policies and programs, manages significant human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a very high degree of autonomy. Frequently influences business decisions made by senior leadership. Oversees through subordinate Managers the accountability and stewardship of campus resources and the development of systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Negotiates and influences others to understand and accept new concepts, practices and approaches.Essential Functions:
30% of the time the Registrar must:
- Interpret and enforce university policies, rules and federal regulations that relate to academic standards, enrollment and student academic records. This position must interpret and apply these rules and regulations to individual students and situations with differing circumstances. In-depth knowledge of the university catalog the student handbook, as well as applicable federal regulations is required. It is also necessary to have historical knowledge and perspective on these policies, rules and regulations to understand and apply them as
they were intended. This position serves as a policy advisor for deans, departments, faculty and students by serving on academic and administrative committees, as Chair to the Academic Appeals Committee, and on an ad-hoc basis.
40% of the time the Registrar must:
- Overall management of the Registrar's Office. This position is responsible for the entire Registrar's Office operations including: Planning, oversight and monitoring of Registrar's Office budgets and expenditures for operating expense, travel, temporary staff, and capital expenses for 4 budget categories including general appropriated account, catalog budget, as well as fund generating accounts of transcript and graduation fees.
- Direct oversight of NCAA Academic Certification. Includes: serving at NCAA Academic Compliance Coordinator, oversight of academic compliance for all university student athletes, department expert on NCAA and Mountain West academic regulations and requirements, signing authority for all athletic participation regarding academic compliance.
- Curriculum/catalog development. Oversees the curriculum/catalog development processes. Acts as a liaison to Academic Affairs to coordinate implementation and enforcement of policies and procedures relating to this area.
Direct supervision of 7 FTE staff; (indirect 30) including staff hiring, assessment of training needs, training or arranging appropriate training, on-going mentoring of staff, development and enforcement of office policies, disciplinary actions, and merit recommendations.
30% of the time the Registrar must:
- Service on University Committees - This position serves as a member or chair of several standing committees within the University as well as a myriad of ad hoc committees to represent the functions and interests of the office. These include chair University Appeals Committee, Chair of the Catalog Committee, member of Commencement Committee, member of Data Governance Committee, Accreditation Committees, Student Records Core team, Academic Standards Committee, etc.
- Knowledge of the Registrar’s Office business practices/processes.
- Knowledge of transfer/test/other credit rules and regulations, including but not limited to ACE guidelines.
- Knowledge of NCAA regulations and requirements.
- Knowledge of University policy and procedures as they relate to academic records.
- Ability to troubleshoot and make decisions.
- Ability to work with diverse groups of people across campus.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated abilities to be a proactive leader at a dynamic university.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and abilities in managing multiple tasks and timelines.
- Demonstrated student-centered philosophy and commitment to the principles and practices of customer service.
Bachelor’s Degree and 8 years experience or equivalent including 5 years managerial experiencePreferred Qualifications:
Master’s Degree in Higher Education Administration, Public Administration or a related field, plus 5 years of supervisory experience.Salary and Benefits:
Salary commensurate with experience. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://hrs.boisestate.edu/benefits/.Required Application Materials:
Please provide a cover letter, resume with employment history (including dates) and three (3) references.