Senior Staff Scientist
Senior Staff Scientist
Job Number: 87766
The Skin Innovation and Interventional Research Group (SIIRG) in the Department of Dermatology is seeking a Senior Staff Scientist with advanced experience in molecular biology and immunoassay processing to work with SIIRG faculty members to explore a wide variety of biological questions.
Responsibilities for this position include initially organizing laboratory set-up on the Stanford main campus, tissue processing , conduct experiments in molecular and cell and protein biology applying advanced knowledge of immunology and genetics. The successful candidate will have excellent cell culture background, including viability screens, flow cytometry, cloning, PCR, DNA, protein, RNA extraction and processing from blood and skin tissue. The LSRP-3 would be expected to conduct experiments under the supervision of SIIRG faculty, but also design and lead independent projects. The position will have dual reporting to both Dr. Kavita Sarin and Dr. Lisa Zaba. Moreover, the Sr. Staff Scientist will participate in conducting the overall operations of the SIIRG Biobanking Program, which will include assisting with setting up the workflow and digitization of samples, but also training and supervising lab personnel in experimental techniques as part of department and University collaborations. Because the LSRP-3 will frequently interact with a team of medical and postdoctoral researchers, he or she must have the ability to clearly communicate scientific concepts.
The ideal candidate will have excellent organizational skills, writing skills, and familiarity with government- and industry-funded research, as well as health and safety requirements, are essential.
- Design research approaches for a major portion of research project(s), including background research, experimental design and execution, problem-solving, and writing up for publication.
- Develop new protocols; test and evaluate a variety of approaches.
- Perform complex (lab and/or field) experiments, and maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes; analyze and interpret research data resulting from original procedures and methods.
- Assist with new research proposals and applications for funding and grants.
- Lead or participate in multidisciplinary teams across different faculties or schools.
- Prepare periodic progress reports or written reports on all phases of the research project.
- Contribute substantively to the preparation of papers for publication, especially in the results section. May be a co-author on publications. Present ongoing work and findings to colleagues at academic conferences.
- Perform ongoing literature review to remain current with new procedures and related research; propose new research directions based on new advances discussed in literature.
- Oversee supply and equipment budget under minimal supervision of principal investigator or business manager.
- Work with health and safety department to ensure lab complies with regulations and all required trainings.
- Formally supervise and train new staff or students as needed, including hiring, performance management, and related duties, in addition to instruction on techniques and consultation on project work.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
A Doctoral Degree (recommended) with substantial coursework in science is required or more advanced degree. A minimum of 5 years of experience in a research lab. The ability to communicate in a very proficient way scientific concepts both verbally and in writing
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- Comprehensive understanding of scientific principles.
- Expert level knowledge and skills in field of science related to research project.
- General computer skills, experience with databases and scientific applications, and ability to quickly learn and master computer programs.
- Strong analytical skills and excellent judgment.
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance is essential.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to complete detailed work accurately.
- Developing project management skills.
- Frequently stand, walk, twist, bend, stoop, squat, grasp lightly, use fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, perform desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, write by hand, lift, carry, push and pull objects weighing over 40 pounds.
- Occasionally sit, kneel, crawl, reach and work above shoulders, sort and file paperwork or parts.
- Rarely climb, scrub, sweep, mop, chop and mix or operate hand and foot controls.
- Must have correctible vision to perform duties of the job.
- Ability to bend, squat, kneel, stand, reach above shoulder level, and move on hard surfaces for up to eight hours.
- Ability to lift heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in a dusty, dirty, and odorous environment.
- Position may require repetitive motion.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
- May require working in close proximity to blood borne pathogens.
- May require work in an environment where animals are used for teaching and research.
- Position may at times require the employee to work with or be in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are present.
- Employee must perform tasks that require the use of personal protective equipment, such as safety glasses and shoes, protective clothing and gloves, and possibly a respirator.
- May require extended or unusual work hours based on research requirements and business needs.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4953
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: H
- Department URL: http://dermatology.stanford.edu
- Requisition ID: 87766
Location: School of Medicine, Stanford, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency