Research Assistant - Crop and Soil Sciences
PG190688EPInternal Recruitment :
Research Assistant - Crop and Soil SciencesAnticipated Hiring Range:
Commensurate with ExperienceWork Schedule:
Mon. - Fri. 8am-5pmJob Location:
Raleigh, NCDepartment :
Crop and Soil SciencesAbout the Department:
Crop & Soil Sciences is a Department with diverse disciplines that encompass research, extension and teaching related to soil science and theory and the genetic improvement, production and utilization of agronomic and turf-grass crops. Leaders in research and applied science and the engagement and technology transfer to public and/or private sector practitioners.Essential Job Duties:
The successful Research Assistant candidate will contribute to several projects in the field studying cover crop species and the water use efficiency in grain production via improved management of cover crop based conventional tillage.
The position’s main responsibilities include assisting in set up, planting, and care of field research projects. The incumbent will ensure data collection, management guidelines, and protocols are being met at all times. This position will work with equipment common in an agriculture environment, and should be comfortable driving a truck and trailer at highway speeds for long distances for field work. The position will need to be familiar with methods of microplot establishment and maintenance within larger full plots. The incumbent will maintain relationships with growers to keep their interest in research study and continue their involvement in data collection efforts. In addition, load and unload equipment, make basic repairs, and instruct research personnel on how to use equipment for experiments.
This position will supervise a team of undergraduate and temporary biweekly employees. The incumbent must possess great communication skills and will coordinate multiple concurrent experiments and can complete field assignments in a timely manner. The position includes approximately 40% time on campus and 60% time at field sites and is subject to change. Daily working hours may vary during peak season. The Research Assistant will also cooperatively work with a diverse group of crop and breeding scientists in collection of data and communicating research results. The candidate will also be required to drive light equipment such as tractors and agricultural machinery. Additional duties as assigned.Other Responsibilities:
- The successful candidate will have to be able to independently drive a program truck with trailer, tractors, or combine.
- Manage student workers.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Relevant Master’s degree.
- Understanding of statistical analysis.
- Master’s degree in Plant Science, Soil Science, Agronomy or related field, or a Bachelor’s degree in Plant Science or Agronomy plus 4 years of experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and in a collaborative research environment is paramount.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and data management skills.
- Understanding a wide variety of cropping systems across different environments.
- Should have a thorough understanding of agronomic research field design, and be able to organize a field for statistical soundness. Should have basic technical understanding of agronomic principles of field crops and some knowledge of the equipment used to plant and harvest such crops.
- Demonstrates ability to follow standard field protocols as well as the technical knowledge to develop and communicate new protocols as needed. Must be able to concentrate on repetitive tasks and proper labeling of samples. Shows attention to detail and competency with field maps.
- Enter and interpret data from research trials. Maintain data logging software and sensor equipment.
- This position will coordinate multiple concurrent experiments and can complete field assignments in a timely manner.
- At least of one (1) year of experience providing technical help in a similar field (plant tissue culture, transformation, or molecular biology).
- Demonstrated experience in leadership.
- Previous background in plant tissue culture, molecular biology, and microbiology.
- Good writing, speaking, and communication skills.
- Ability to work well in a dynamic collaborative team environment.
- Valid NC Driver’s License or the ability to obtain one within 60 days of hire in order to drive state vehicles. The license must be maintained.
YesCommercial Driver's License required:
NoJob Open Date:
11/10/2020Anticipated Close Date:
Open Until Filled.Special Instructions to Applicants:
In addition to your application please submit a cover letter, CV, and the contact information for three (3) professional references.Position Number:
EHRA Non-FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Mandatory - Medical Emergencies, Non Mandatory - Emergency EventIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
110901 - Crop and Soil SciencesAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.