Assistant Director for Regional Affairs
Reporting to the Director of Community and Regional Affairs, the Assistant Director of Regional Affairs will develop and carry out strategies for advancing Princeton’s teaching, research, service, and arts priorities in Trenton and the surrounding region while fostering positive collaborations between the University and partners in the community. The Assistant Director will:
Assistant Director for Regional Affairs
Job ID: 2019-11253
# of Openings: 1
Category: Communications and Public Relations
Princeton University, located in the heart of central New Jersey, is seeking an enthusiastic professional to help identify and advance opportunities for partnerships in Trenton and Mercer County. The University is dedicated to world class teaching and research, with a foundational commitment to service and a more recent focus on the arts. As part of a sustained and University- wide commitment, Princeton aims to increase and support opportunities for its students, faculty and staff to partner with individuals and entities in Trenton and the surrounding community to learn, innovate and work together to advance research, scholarship, service, and the arts and to contribute to the vibrancy of the region.
- Develop strategies that support shared or companion goals of Princeton University and its partners in Trenton and Mercer County.
- Be responsible for identifying focus areas and potential partner organizations in Trenton and the surrounding region to which Princeton should direct time and resources.
- Advance partnerships between the University and institutions and individuals within the greater Trenton area, including, but not limited to, educational institutions, service organizations, community and faith-based organizations, arts organizations, environmental organizations, and government representatives and entities.
- Work with campus partners to create and carry out a coherent, broad-gauged and long-term strategy through which Princeton University can provide greater opportunities for collaboration, connection and interaction among individuals and entities in the Trenton region and members of the campus community and beyond.
- Developing an overall strategy, based on an assessment of current activities, for Princeton’s engagement in Trenton and the surrounding region grounded in the University’s commitment to teaching, research, and service.
- Working with campus organizations, including academic departments and centers, service programs and student initiatives, to develop tools, systems, methods and incentives that encourage members of the University community to actively partner with individuals and entities in the Trenton region in ways consistent with the University’s mission.
- Serving as a representative of Princeton University to schools, businesses, arts, public sector, civic, and non-governmental organizations throughout the central New Jersey region, with a particular focus on the greater Trenton area.
- Providing timely information to members of the region and organizations throughout central New Jersey about Princeton University.
- Carrying out other duties as assigned by the Director of Community and Regional Affairs.
- Five to seven years' relevant experience. Deep familiarity with Trenton, Mercer County, and central New Jersey. Ability to build and sustain relationships that benefit Princeton University and its partners. Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment. Ability to communicate clearly in public settings and in writing. Excellent interpersonal skills. Experience and proven success working with diverse communities and supporting inclusive partnerships. Ability to interact with all levels of the University and local community with tact, patience, and professionalism. Ability to be proactive and demonstrate initiative; ability to work independently and exercise discretion. Flexibility; resourcefulness; adaptability to changing needs and demands; willingness to work long hours and on weekends/evenings as circumstances require. Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and social media.
- Bachelor's degree.