Residential Admissions & Recruitment Coordinator (4508U), SPH - 12683
Residential Admissions & Recruitment Coordinator (4508U), SPH - 12683 About Berkeley
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: November 24, 2020
The School of Public Health (SPH) is a large and complex professional school at UC Berkeley, with a mission to improve population health, especially for the most vulnerable, through interdisciplinary collaborations, preeminent education, and transformational research.
The School is comprised of six academic divisions and 30 research centers and programs, with over 200 faculty, 120 academic/research staff, 155 management/professional/ administrative staff, and 285 student researchers/instructors/workers. The School offers a core MPH degree with nine areas of study, along with five MA and MS degree programs, a DrPH and five PhD degree programs, and five concurrent programs with other UC Berkeley schools and colleges; in addition, the School offers a joint degree with UC San Francisco. The School launched UC Berkeley's first on-line degree program in 2012 and is rapidly expanding the program to reach a wide range of domestic and international audiences through online degrees, certificate programs, and executive education. The School enrolls approximately 575 graduate students per year, as well as educating roughly 440 undergraduate students through an upper-division public health major. The School's more than 13,000 graduates can be found working throughout the world, in both the public and private sectors.
Learn more at publichealth.berkeley.edu
- Plans visits to schools, schedules and makes presentations, interviews, and follow-up visits.
- Identifies potential students, and provides information about higher education generally and UC Berkeley School of Public Health specifically.
- Provides accurate information, advice, and guidance on admissions requirements, prerequisite courses, school programs and curricula, specific financial aid criteria, SPH or Graduate Division fellowships and other resources for financial aid, and career opportunities to prospective students.
- Assesses admissions eligibility of traditional and international applicants.
- This includes evaluating transcripts and international records for eligibility.
- May also include researching foreign educational systems as needed and analyzing academic records from foreign secondary and tertiary institutions (including study abroad records).
- Assesses applicants for motivation, initiative, leadership potential, work/life experience, extracurricular activities, socioeconomic status, disability, and educational/personal hardship.
- Processes admission decisions through university systems, including Slate and SOPHAS, and trouble shoots as liaison with department programs and Graduate Division on any complex admissions issues.
- Clean up admissions data and communicates admissions updates with programs.
- Plans, manages, implements and evaluates events to enhance recruitment and yield, including Spring Visit Day, New Student Orientation, diversity initiative events, mentoring programs, electronic communications, and similar activities.
- Engages in career and professional development opportunities.
- Works with available data systems to develop reports assessing student enrollment, demographics, and helps assess effectiveness of outreach and recruitment activities that the School participates in each year.
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Thorough and comprehensive knowledge of or ability to quickly learn and understand academic programs, including curricula, admissions requirements, and financial aid programs, at colleges/universities and/or other schools.
- Exceptional communication skills and the ability to interact effectively with all levels of faculty, staff, students, and external constituencies, both verbally and in writing.
- Strong emotional intelligence and social skills.
- The interest and ability to participate in a highly collaborative team environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to and understanding of diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Thorough knowledge and experience working with a diverse student populations in the areas of outreach, admissions and recruitment.
- Ability to interpret and effectively communicate policies and procedures to prospective students and the public.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative relationships with schools, universities, community organizations, and other institutions.
- Ability to develop effective recruiting materials and recruit underrepresented minority and first generation prospective students.
- Public speaking experience.
- Ability to multi-task with demanding time-frames.
- Strong skills in data analyses and complex problemsolving, aligned with a strong customer service orientation.
- Ability to effectively work both independently and in collaboration with others at varying levels of the organization.
- Knowledge of common computer application programs, including technological platforms utilized in the admissions and financial aid processes (e.g., Slate, SOPHAS, student information systems, excel, slack).
- Experience planning large student-facing events preferred.
Salary & Benefits
This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience within the range of $26.00 - $28.74.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a full-time, Career position.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=12683&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency