Billing and Cashier Supervisor (7204U) 12491
Billing and Cashier Supervisor (7204U) 12491 About Berkeley
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 11/25/2020
Berkeley Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) is a comprehensive major medical insurance plan, providing medical, counseling, prescription, vision, and dental service. The mission of the Student Health Insurance Office is to provide service to students as it pertains to their health insurance or utilization of University Health Services Center. This includes access to benefit representative to answer any Berkeley SHIP or insurance questions or concerns, cashiering for students to make payments for services render, a Patient Navigator to assist students with more complexed health related issue with authorizations for service and next steps in care, and a waiver department to help with insurance waiver questions and appeals.
40% Supervisor - Billing and Cashiering
- Oversees the revenue cycle workflow associated with Medical and Behavioral Health claims for the University Health Service Center. Responsible for the correct billing and collecting revenue on behalf of UHS.
- Oversees the daily billing of claims from the current EMR system to our Insurance Payer.
- Billing to all Student Health Insurance claims
- Billing all 3rd Party Payers for our Non-SHIP students
- Responsible for timely revenue capture and correct coding of claims.
- Responsible for the daily processing of claims.
- Aged accounts managed with a goal of no claims over 90 days unresolved.
- Leads, directs and evaluates up to 3 staff members at the professional and represented level who supports billing, claims and cashiering.
- Oversees multiple cashiering functions including deposits, Campus Account Billing, patient payments, claims coding error corrections.
- Responsible conducting regular cash audits
- Responsible for regular checking of all credit card machines throughout University Health Service Center for tampering and reporting all findings.
- Responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of all credit card machines at UHS.
- Responsible for the training and cross training of the Billing and Cashiering staff
- Develops, implements, and administers risk management insured and self-insured programs and operations with respect to insurance claims administration, contracts, and loss prevention.
25% EMR claims processing and ERA retrieval
- Oversees the daily billing of claims to the current Insurance Payer.
- Oversees the daily retrieval of the ERA from the provider to the current EMR system.
- Responsible for claim issues resolutions including but not limited to:
- Rejections, Denials and Over and Under payments
- Reports and resolves any claims billing issues that may negatively impact the revenue stream at UHS.
- Acting as the liaison between the IT department and Student Health Insurance for all billing and cashiering related items
15% Responsible for reporting and resolving all claims billing issues that may negatively impact the revenue stream at UHS.
- Maintains timely billing windows and practice to ensure positive revenue flow from the insurance carrier.
10% Acts as the claims billing and revenue cycle matter expert for the Student Health Insurance Office and UHS.
- Fielding processing questions and responding to escalated claims and EMR issues
- Responding to complex claims issue by working with students, parents, providers and the insurance carrier to resolve.
- Identify complexed cases that require tasking to the Patient Navigator.
5% Serves as subject matter expert to the Student Health Insurance Office and UHS staff on the interpretation of the current insurance plan, enrollment eligibility, benefit utilization, and claims billing and reimbursement processes.
5% Oversees the preparation and the distribution of weekly/monthly/annual claims billing reports.
- 3-5 years of health plan and some supervisory experience.
- Knowledge of health insurance industry experience (customer service, benefits counseling, claims processing
- or brokerage services)
- Knowledge of medical causation and relatedness, as well as coordination of medical treatment protocols.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal relationship management and customer service skills to build effective relationships with a diverse staff in a complex organizational structure.
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of medical coding (ICD-10CM, CPT, HCPCS)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to organize, coordinate and completed work and projects effectively and within deadlines.
- Knowledge of the principles and practice of management
- Ability to function under fluctuating workloads, with frequent distractions and interruptions.
- Demonstrated initiative, resourcefulness and ability to see priorities.
- Critical thinking and creativity in problem-solving with a penchant for detail and commitment to accuracy.
- Expert user of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel) and Electronic Medical Records (EMR) systems
- Must have some knowledge of finance policies, practices and systems.
- Has ability to gather, organize, and perform basic financial analysis assignments.
- Proven interpersonal skills, customer service orientation, active listening skills, and organizational skills.
- Proven ability to concisely present complex risk findings and make recommendations verbally and in writing
- Proven ability to use critical thinking and analytical skills to solve problems.
- Strong skills required to develop course materials and deliver content effectively to diverse populations.
- Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training combination of education and
experience in health care.
Salary & Benefits
Hiring Range: $60,800 - $88,500 annually. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Employment is contingent on successful completion of: Background Check, Acceptable Medical Evaluation that includes infectious disease surveillance and proof of current required vaccinations or immunity levels, and successful credentials verification (if applicable).
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=12491&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency