Lab and Research Technician
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-11-10
The Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Genetics seeks a Lab and Research Technician 1 or 2 to work in Dr. Sanchita Bhatnagar’s laboratory. The incumbent will primarily be working with animals.
Job Responsibilities Include:
- Participate in research or clinical work involving treatment operations and experiments with animals that include breeding, genotyping, and maintaining colonies.
- Perform surgical procedures on small lab animals, such as intracardiac, intraperitoneal, intravenous and ICV injections.
- Participate in xenograft, orthotopic, spontaneous tumor studies.
- Observation during post-operative or treatment periods.
- At the direction of Principal Investigator or senior staff, assist in mouse behavioral studies or other molecular biology experiments.
- Obtain, clean, and sterilize instruments, glassware, and equipment; and wrap, label, and prepare urine, blood, and other specimens. May perform simple lab tests under close supervision.
- Perform similar duties to Lab and Research Aide, such as collecting specimens, setting up and performing experiments of a repetitive nature, such as PCR, agarose gel electrophoresis; and preparing chemicals, reagents, and solutions as instructed.
Minimum Requirements for Lab and Research Technician 1:
Education: High school diploma or equivalent
Experience: At least 1 year of lab experience, which may include student experience. Bachelor's degree will be considered in lieu of experience.
Minimum Requirements for Lab and Research Technician 2:
Education: Associate's degree
Experience: At least 2 years of lab experience which may include student experience. Bachelor's degree in related science will be considered in lieu of experience.
Preference will be given to applicants with a Bachelor’s degree.
This is a restricted position; continuation is dependent on funding and satisfactory performance.
Priority review of applications will begin on November 20, 2020, but the position will remain open until filled.
EXTERNAL APPLICANTS: please apply through Workday at the following URL, https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs , and search for requisition # R0019614. Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, CV/resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, address).
INTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs”, and search for requisition # R0019614. Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, CV/resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, address).
For additional information about the position, please contact Sanchita Bhatnagar, Assistant Professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, via email firstname.lastname@example.org .
For additional information about the application process, please contact Michelle Williams, Faculty Search Advisor via email email@example.com.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.