Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) Tutors
Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM...
About Westfield State University:
In 1839, Horace Mann founded Westfield State University as the first public higher education institution without barrier to race, gender or economic class. Westfield State University is committed to a policy of non-discrimination, equal opportunity, diversity and affirmative action. We are dedicated to providing educational, working and living environments that value the diverse backgrounds of all people including minorities, women, veterans, individuals with disabilities and other protected persons, or individuals with diverse cultural backgrounds.
Westfield State is the most residential of the state universities in Massachusetts, with over 60% of our 5600 full-time undergraduate students living on campus. The campus is ideally situated on the edge of the Berkshire Mountains in western Massachusetts just 30 minutes from the thriving cultural centers of Northampton and Amherst, and 1.5 hours from both Boston and Albany.
Campus Title: STEM Tutors
Department: College of Mathematics and Sciences
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Type: Temporary
Timeframe: One or more years
Shift: To be determined upon assignment
Regular Days Off: To be determined upon assignment
Supervision Received: Reports to the Chairs of departments within the College of Mathematics and Sciences
Supervision Exercised: None
Salary: $17.00 - $25.00/hour (negotiable, based on experience)
General Statement of Duties: We seek tutors to support introductory and upper-level STEM courses. Tutors should be experienced and able to distill information and promote critical thinking skills. Tutors should possess the skills necessary to assist the student with the learning process and encourage long-term success.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties include but not limited to:
- Hold late afternoon/early evening tutoring sessions (minimum of a 2-hour block) on Westfield State's campus.
- Meet students one-on-one or in small groups to go over the material and assist with guided practice.
- Take notes during tutoring sessions so you can follow-up with the student.
- Provide weekly usage reports to the Dean.
Experience in other STEM fields is welcome however your experience must include one or more of the following:
- Computer Science (Programming - Python, COBOL)
- Strong academic record
- Minimum of 60 credit hours at the baccalaureate level
- Must be able to provide own transportation to Westfield State.
- Available in the late afternoon/evening hours as needed.
- Ability to attend a training session at Westfield State.
- Tutoring or teaching experience
Skills, Knowledge, Abilities:
- Effective communication
- Independent and collaborative work ethic
- Understanding of learning styles, cultural awareness, and competencies
- Professional behavior
- Basic computer and AV skills
Westfield State University understands that persons with disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance regarding disability accommodations, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (413) 572-8106.
Employment at Westfield State University is contingent upon a background check that is satisfactory to the University. Failure to provide written authorization for a background check will nullify the offer of employment.
An online application is required. Interested candidates must also electronically attach the following documents:
- Cover letter
- Please respond to the following questions: 1) Tell us about a time when you were challenged academically. What steps did you take to overcome that challenge? 2) What practices and qualities should an effective tutor possess? Give examples of how you have used these practices to support students.
A review of applications will begin immediately.
NOTE: If you need assistance completing your application please contact our online Help Desk. The link to the help desk can be found at the top of the page via Contact Us.
Westfield State University provides equal access to employment opportunities for all applicants, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, age, disability or veteran status in compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and policies.
To apply, visit https://westfield.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=107993&CNTRNO=12&TSTMP=0
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency