Full Time Custodial Worker (applicant pool)
Present Position Number:
CUSTODRole Code Title:
HSKP & Apparel Serv Worker IPosition Title:
Full Time Custodial Worker (applicant pool)Position Summary:
William & Mary is seeking applications for custodial positions to work in various areas of campus, including administrative, academic, athletics and residence life.
Applicants will be notified when contacted for an interview about the shift(s) that are available along with any other details that are specific to the position being filled.
Positions are subject to overtime.
Non-Residence Life Work Shifts:
- Day/1st Shift (5:00AM – 2:00PM)
- Day Shift (7:00AM-4:00PM)
The Custodial Worker position maintains the upkeep and cleanliness of campus buildings and to ensure a clean environment is maintained for all faculty, staff, students and visitors.
Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- Clean, dust and wipe fixtures, furniture, floors, surfaces, walls and windows.
- Sweep, mop and vacuum floors. Strip, clean, buff and apply floor cleaners, sealers and finishes to hard surface floors. Vacuum, spot clean and extract carpets.
- Refill restroom dispensers. Empty and clean trash and recycling receptacles. Remove trash and recycling from the building.
- Perform routine preventive maintenance on power equipment and hand tools (e.g., empty, clean, rinse and wash; change belts, hoses, brushes and bags).
- Responsible for the orderliness and cleanliness of assigned housekeeping closets and equipment storage areas. Use step ladders and personal protective equipment (PPE) when required in work assignments.
- Respond to tenant needs and requests. Report building damage or the need for building repairs. Report and respond to emergency calls for custodial assistance. Lock and unlock buildings as directed. Secure buildings when not in use. Report unauthorized occupants or use.
- Work outside to remove snow, ice and debris from entrances, steps and sidewalks, using various tools and products as directed.
- Demonstrated ability to read, write, speak and understand English to effectively communicate and understand others, and to follow oral and written instructions (MSDH sheets, safety and training manuals).
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time; lift and carry objects up to 50 lbs.; tolerate frequent bending, stooping, and climbing stairs.
- Ability to operate powered and non- powered cleaning equipment. Must be willing and able to learn the use of heavy floor care equipment.
- The ability to work with and properly use or learn to use cleaning chemicals and agents, including dilution and dispensing systems. Personal protective equipment will be required during specific work duties as determined by the department.
- Ability to work outdoors in temperatures below 32 degrees and above 90 degrees.
High School graduate or equivalent.
Basic computer skills (email, Microsoft programs).
- Commercial cleaning experience is a plus.
commensurate with experienceDepartment:
951400 Building ServicesLocation:
William & MaryUniversity Salary Range:
U01Job Open Date:
11/10/2020Open Until Filled:
Full Time OperationalPosition Term:
12-MonthConditions of Employment::
- This position is non-exempt, eligible to receive overtime in accordance with the fair labor standards act and University policy. This position is subject to overtime (both scheduled and unscheduled).
- Availability to accommodate special events, emergencies, and/or unscheduled work assignments which typically include working weekends and/or holidays, especially from May-August, sometimes with short notice.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time, and tolerate frequent bending, stooping, and climbing stairs. Lift and carry objects weighing up to 50 lbs.
- This position has been designated as essential and may require reporting to work when the college is officially closed.
William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The university is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.Background Check Statement:
William & Mary is committed to providing a safe campus community. W&M conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.