Vice President for Community & Government Relations
Job no: 492446
Work type: Full-time
Location: St. Louis, MO
Categories: Administrative & Support, Development & Alumni Relations, Management & Leadership
Advertised: November 10, 2020
The Vice President for Community and Government Relations will report directly to the President of the University and will serve as a member of the President’s Advisory Council. The VP for CGO will provide executive oversight for the development and alumni relations division and will directly supervise the Executive Director of Development and Alumni Relations who will be responsible for the performance and day-to-day activities of that unit. The VP for CGO will lead the university’s community and government relations efforts to support the university’s strategic plan.
The VP for CGO will manage portfolios in two key areas:
1. Provide executive oversight for development and alumni relations by promoting Maryville University’s strategic plan to a variety of constituencies with the objective of raising friends and funds; and engaging alumni, donors, community leaders and organizations, large and small businesses and associations. This person will represent the University to a number of organizations and individuals and effectively articulate the unprecedented growth, innovation and strategic goals of Maryville University. The VP for CGO will align fundraising efforts with the university’s strategic plan to support our ambitious growth and innovation.
2. Lead the university’s community and government relations efforts by networking and building relationships to advance the university’s strategic plans and to position Maryville as the premier higher education and workforce development partner in the region. This person will develop prospects and represent the University to a number of businesses, professional associations, government agencies, and community organizations and effectively articulate the university’s strategic goals to expand Maryville’s workforce development programs, drive economic growth in the region and support the university’s mission of increasing access and opportunity to educational programs and career outcomes for learners.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience.
• Ten or more years of leadership experience with increasing responsibility.
• Previous experience in community and government relations with an emphasis on establishing, cultivating, and stewarding strong relationships with corporate and community partners as well as government agencies.
• Skilled in strategic and creative prospect engagement and cultivation along with a demonstrated track record of successfully operationalizing prospect relationships.
• Demonstrated working knowledge of the fundamentals of institutional advancement and workforce development, including key community and government partners.
• Demonstrated ability to align goals and objectives with strategic plans.
• Exceptional interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
• Must have a vision for the future.
• Must be willing and available to work evenings and weekends.
• Regular local and regional travel required with some national travel required.
• Master’s Degree
• Previous experience with leadership and oversight for fundraising, corporate giving, constituency management and engagement, and friend raising.
Open Until Filled
YesSpecial Instructions to Applicants
An offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background screening.
Applicants requiring University sponsorship to obtain employment authorization will not be considered for this position.
Maryville University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination on the basis of age, disability, gender, genetic information, marital status, national origin, race/color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status protected by law. This extends to all aspects of the employment relationship, including recruiting, hiring, training, on-the-job treatment, promotion, layoff, and termination.