College/Federal Work Study III - Supplemental Instruction Leader
Job Title: College/Federal Work Study III - Supplemental Instruction Leader
Department: Student Academic Success
Location: Delaware Campus
Employment Type: Student Employment
Employment Status: Student Employment
Bargaining Unit: Non-Bargaining Unit
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Compensation Type: Hourly
Compensation Range: $10.20
Schedule: Hours based on department class schedule, with consideration to student schedule. Maximum 20 hours/week. Current work plan: Work will be mix of Remote/Virtual and On-Site. On-Site work would only begin once approved by College Leadership.
End Date(if applicable): 8/7/2021
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each essential duty listed below. Reasonable accommodations will be made for persons with disabilities, covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, in accordance with its requirements.
Duties are numbered for convenience, and do not indicate order in terms of importance, frequency that the duty is performed, or the amount of time spent on the duty.
Position Overview: Research has shown peer-led student support has a positive impact on student's academic success. Supplemental Instruction Leaders work to support students who need to be academically successful at Columbus State Community College.
1) Attends all class meetings of the selected course, takes notes, and becomes very familiar with all class assignments and expectations for quizzes and exams.
2) Meets regularly with the course instructor(s), SI Instructor, and/or Coordinator(s) and is responsible for planning SI sessions, creating/distributing all SI session handouts, and notifying the instructor(s) about problems or potential problems.
3) Supplement learners' academic performance to improve/enhance grades in selected courses.
4) Conducts one to three 50-minute study/tutoring sessions per week throughout the term using strategies learned through the departmental SI Leader training workshop.
5) Collects attendance data for every SI session conducted.
6) Assists the SI Instructor or SI Program Supervisor in the preparation of end-of-term reports and other reports as requested.
7) Helps students to develop and apply appropriate learning and study skills.
8) Maintains a thorough knowledge of the course material, as well as multiple instructional methodologies, to meet various student learning styles.
9) Attends the required Supplemental Instruction Training Sessions every semester.
10) Provides extra SI sessions and/or marathon sessions, as needed.
11) Ascertains course requirements and maintains contact with the course instructor, SI Instructor and/or SI Program Supervisor throughout the term.
12) Meets with other campus SI leaders and supervisory personnel at scheduled meetings as necessary.
13) Assists the SI instructor(s) in training other SI Leaders upon request.
14) Maintains a 3.0 GPA or higher.
15) Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge of: course material at a high level.
Skill in: communication; interpersonal skills.
Ability to: take a difficult concept, breakdown the concept into it's smallest parts and explain the concept to a student who is new to the course content; work well with students in a one-on-one and small group tutoring environment; demonstrate sensitivity to students from diverse social and academic backgrounds.
This position requires that any applicant be enrolled as a current student at Columbus State in three or more credit hours in a degree or certificate seeking program. Click here for a full explanation of eligibility requirements for student employment at Columbus State.
Applicants must have received a high school diploma or a certificate of attendance from an accredited secondary school or a certificate of high school equivalence and be exempt from Ohio Revised Code Chapter 4109.
Must have reliable transportation or other means to get to work regularly.
Must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher and received an "A" or "B" in the selected course. MUST OBTAIN THE RECOMMENDATION of an instructor(s) supporting the student's hiring for the SI Leaders program and understanding of the applicable course materials.
Students enrolled as Transient, College Credit Plus, Undecided, or otherwise non degree-seeking are not considered eligible for Student Employment.
A desire to learn and help others to learn too.
Previous tutoring or volunteer experience.
Must attend scheduled SI sessions on time and participate in occasional training sessions.
NOTE: This is a pool position. This means a position may not be immediately available, but the department will review applicants when a position is open.
Students employed by Columbus State are exposed to professional work environments where they develop many of the important transferable skills necessary for future success in the workforce. We are dedicated to helping students set the stage for professional life by supporting growth and development in the following areas:
- Career/Life Management
- Critical Thinking/Problem Solving
- Digital Technology
- Global/Intercultural Fluency
- Oral/Written Communications
- Professionalism/Work Ethic