Mental Health Counselor, Underrepresented Student Specialist
Macalester College seeks to hire a full-time Mental Health Counselor, Underrepresented Student Specialist. This position supports the mental health needs of Macalester students in one or more underrepresented identity groups, including BIPOC students, LGBTQIA+ students, First Generation students, and/or International students. The successful candidate will possess specialized knowledge in providing mental health care to one or more of these populations. They will provide clinical intervention and support services for students challenged by emotional and mental health concerns that compromise their personal and academic stability and success, including individual short-term counseling, crisis intervention, support group services, consultation and referral. They will also participate in programmatic and outreach initiatives related to mental health and specifically underrepresented students. This position serves a diverse, traditional-age college student population, sits in Macalester College's Hamre Center for Health & Wellness, and reports directly to the Director of Counseling.
- Provides short-term individual mental health counseling, crisis intervention and support group facilitation, with a specific focus on care for underrepresented students.
- Provides community education programming, trainings and/or outreach services in collaboration with campus partners (i.e. Department of Multicultural Life, International student programs, etc.).
- Prepares appropriate documentation and reporting.
- Participates in and contributes to staff meetings, case consultations, and committee assignments.
- Provides referral guidance and consultation services to students, parents and the larger campus community. Supports coverage for after hours services by serving in an on call consultation on rotating or as needed basis.
- Participate in ongoing professional development and campus life.
- Actively engages in learning and practicing principles of social justice and inclusion to increase individual capacity to support institutional changes that create and sustain a welcoming and inclusive environment across the Macalester community.
- Master’s degree in counseling, clinical psychology or related mental health field required.
- Must be licensed, or license eligible, in the state of Minnesota to practice in stated counseling related field or working toward licensure.
- 1-3 years of professional mental health counseling experience required.
- Experience providing mental health services to people with marginalized/underrepresented identities. Experience providing community programming centering the needs of marginalized groups.
- Must have the ability to assess and treat mental health conditions and be able to develop appropriate counseling strategies, particularly to meet the unique needs of underrepresented student clients.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, inclusion and diversity
For consideration, please submit your cover letter and resume as one PDF through the Macalester Employment Opportunities webpage by December 6, 2020. Review of applications will begin immediately. All inquiries about this position should be directed to:
Talent Acquisition Manager
Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities, women and LGBTQIA+ individuals. Candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Macalester College - Institutional Overview
Since its founding in 1874, Macalester College has provided students with the inspiration, insight, and experience to become successful and ethical leaders. Located in St. Paul, Minnesota, Macalester enrolls nearly 2,100 students who come from virtually every state and 91 countries. Macalester is committed to being a preeminent liberal arts college known for its high standards of scholarship and its special emphasis on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society.
Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities, women and LGBTQIA+ individuals.
Macalester employees enjoy a fantastic benefits package and working environment that is second to none. Please visit Macalester Benefits for more information about what Macalester has to offer its employees.