Medical Office Assistant, Department of Student Health Services
Job location: Winston Salem, NC
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-11-10
- Additional documentation must be added at the bottom of the third screen under the "My Experience."
- Internal candidates must apply via the internal career portal. Do not proceed with your application from this website.
- DO NOT complete the application without the required attachments as you will be unable to edit your application.
Working under direct supervision, provides secretarial and clerical support to clinical and administrative staff including answering telephones, scheduling appointments, processing accounts receivable, managing confidential records, retrieving and filing medical records, scanning, and data entry. Full-time, 10-month position. Weekend rotation. Work on some holidays & some hours during the summer semester.Job DescriptionJob Description
Major Tasks and Responsibilities
- Greet students and visitors to the office in a courteous and professional manner.
- Answer phone calls and patient questions and give out information or resources.
- Screen and transfer calls to appropriate staff or take messages.
- Performs secretarial/clerical functions including routine correspondence.
- Uses electronic medical records (EHR) to access and update patient information; schedules and cancels appointments. Help complete tasks in Pyramed.
- Uses a secure WebEx for Telehealth appointments.
- Data entry for students' immunization records into their EHR.
- Helps manage all medical records which include copying, faxing, printing, and scanning.
- Upload new WFU Health Information & Immunization Forms that come through emails.
- Assures confidentiality and privacy of medical records according to procedures and professional standards.
- Verifies and posts charges to client accounts and to departments on campus. Collects cash/check/debit payments at check out and prints receipt. Balance receivables for each day. Prepares daily deposits for bank and delivers deposit information to Financial and Accounting Services. Reconciles all account receivable reports for the office manager.
- Sorts, screens and distributes mail as appropriate. Deliver materials on campus.
- Maintain office supplies.
- Participates in staff projects, programs, and events.
- Able to perform tasks and errands on campus including making deposits, obtaining mail, and couriering sensitive documents.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- High school graduate with specialized training plus two or more years of medical office experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience working with computer-based practice management systems – EHR
- General knowledge of office management procedures and techniques.
- Ability to communicate effectively with patients, other clients, and Student Health Service office, clinical and administrative staff in a team environment.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously such as greeting/registering students and answering the telephone.
- Superior customer service skills, proper telephone etiquette, and the ability to keep calm and collected under pressure.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Ability to follow instructions and pre-established guidelines required to perform the job.
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of University records and medical information.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software and the ability to learn medical office software.
- Accuracy and proficiency in typing skills; ability to operate standard office equipment.
- Relies on instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job.
- Assures compliance with professional and regulatory requirements regarding medical information standards.
Preferred Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Skill in processing accounts receivable.
- Experience working with college-age population
- Experience in high volume primary care clinic environment
- Medical record keeping experience