Multicultural Specialist/Counselor – Counseling Center
Multicultural Specialist/Counselor – Counseling Center
Salisbury University, a member of the University System of Maryland, is a regionally accredited four-year comprehensive institution offering 58 distinct graduate and undergraduate programs. Located on the historic Eastern Shore, SU's beautiful campus is some 30 miles from the Atlantic beaches and 2.5 hours from Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
Committed to the fulfillment of the Salisbury University Mission, the Division of Student Affairs engages students in supportive communities where holistic learning and success are possible. All positions in Student Affairs share the responsibility for creating a campus community that values diversity, inclusion and the uniqueness of others by modeling integrity, care, compassion and respect during interactions with all members of the Salisbury community. To learn more about Student Affairs, visit http://www.salisbury.edu/students/about.html. This position may evolve as necessary to meet the changing needs of students and the university.
Salisbury University is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Multicultural Specialist in the Counseling Center.
Primary Job Duties: Contribute to creating a culture of care and success for all university students from enrollment to commencement by:
- Providing culturally-responsive clinical, consultative, and outreach services anchored in multi-cultural, multi-generational, and multi-disciplinary frameworks and treatment modalities
- Develop programs that promote cultural awareness, knowledge and skills
- Coordinate services that help maintain focus on the importance of culturally-responsive clinical services, outreach programming, and training opportunities
- Assist with improving the Center's ability to meet the needs of historically underrepresented groups and reduce stigma of mental health services.
Position requires occasional evening and/or weekend work to meet operational needs and requirements of the position, especially in support of campus outreach programs and/or emergency response protocols. All Student Affairs positions require performing other mission-specific duties contingent upon student, university, and operational needs.
- Master’s degree in Counseling, Psychology, Social Work, or Rehabilitation Counseling from an accredited program
- Licensed Psychologist, Clinical Social Worker, Professional Counselor or Mental Health Counselor
- At least three years of clinical experience related to the position
- Experience providing culturally-responsive clinical and/or psychoeducational services/programs
- Experience with at least one clinical focus area (e.g., GRIT/resilience, eating disorders, Title IX, multicultural counseling, LGBTQIA, addictions and recovery, tele-counseling, grief counseling, spiritual counseling, sexual identity, online students, etc.)
- Experience with crisis response and intervention
- Must be able to obtain Maryland license within 1 year of appointment
The position with require the ability to:
- Anticipate organizational and supervisor needs and develop strategies to meet needs effectively
- Foster positive and effective therapeutic relationships with diverse populations
- Support, promote, and engage in change management initiatives effectively
- Use culturally-responsive interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with diverse and various audiences
- De-escalate tense, stressful, or crisis situations
- Communicate information and ideas effectively to various audiences both orally and in writing
- Meet deadlines and supervise the work of others in culturally-responsive and appreciative ways
- Organize, prioritize, and manage projects with tight or competing deadlines
- Be creative, resourceful, and adept at solving problems
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt appropriate course(s) of action
- Interpret, apply, and explain clearly rules, regulations, policies and procedures to various audiences
- Work confidentially and exercise appropriate discretion
- Work cooperatively with others and maintain effective customer service towards all persons
- Collect, organize, and report on basic program level assessments and evaluations using different methodologies (e.g., formative, summative, qualitative, and quantitative) and tools (e.g., SPSS, Qualtrics, SurveyMonkey, etc.)
- Contextualize, implement, and gather support for industry best and promising practices
- Be detail-oriented and have excellent customer service, organization and planning, prioritization, problem solving, follow through, time management, and oral and written communication skills
- Be flexible and possess the ability to successfully handle multiple tasks/projects simultaneously and work well under pressure
- Work independently and in a team-oriented environment
- Be proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
Preferred Qualifications: Experience in a higher education setting; experience with program development and evaluation; and/or successful experiences implementing innovative programs/services and collaborating with campus partners
This is a full-time, exempt, State position with a full benefits package. Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. Licensure credentials and official transcripts will be requested at time of offer.
Applications will be accepted via Salisbury University's Online Employment Application System. Please visit our website http://www.salisbury.edu/hr/careers/ to apply online. See the FAQs of the Online Employment Application System for more information and instructions. To be considered an applicant, you must apply online and submit a cover letter and resume. All documents that you wish to provide must be attached to your application in the Online Employment Application System. Please do not send any documents via E-mail. Three professional references will be requested and required before the final stages of the search. Candidates will be notified prior to references being contacted.
Applications received by November 29, 2020 will be given full consideration. The position will remain open until filled.
Diversity and inclusion are core values of Salisbury University. We strive to create a truly diverse and inclusive environment where the richness of ideas, backgrounds, and perspectives of our community is harnessed to create value for our institution, today and in the future. To this end, the University recruits exceptional and diverse faculty, staff, and students from across Maryland, the United States, and around the world, supporting all members of the University community as they work together to achieve institutional goals and vision. To learn more about the University’s commitment to fostering a diverse and inclusive campus, please visit http://www.salisbury.edu/equity/.
Salisbury University (SU) has a strong institutional commitment to diversity and equal employment opportunities to all qualified people. To that end, the University prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex, gender, marital status, pregnancy, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or other legally protected characteristics. Direct all inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policy to: Humberto Aristizabal, Associate Vice President, Institutional Equity, Title IX Coordinator, 100 Holloway Hall, Tel. (410) 548-3508.