Senior UX/UI Developer
Senior UX/UI Developer
Job Number: 87157
Senior UX/UI Developer
THIS POSITION IS OPEN TO 100% REMOTE CANDIDATES.
Stanford University is one of the world's premier academic and research institutions, devoting tremendous intellectual and physical resources toward the betterment of humanity. As a major Silicon Valley employer, Stanford seeks people committed to excellence and to improving our world. In turn, the university is committed to supporting its employees as they develop their careers and enrich their lives. We believe Stanford's future success will be shaped by the diverse perspectives, unique experiences, and inclusive culture of its community.
The Office of University Communications and External Relations is seeking a Senior UX/UI Developer to take a leading role in defining the user experience, information architecture, and visual design requirements on some of Stanford's highest impact communications channels, including stanford.edu, news.stanford.edu, and a new internal communications project, among others.
As Senior UX/UI Developer, you would be responsible for:
- Continually improving Stanford's institutional communications channels by advocating for the user and integrating stakeholder and user feedback into the development process.
- Leading design on a wide range of channels and institutional initiatives by: collaborating with a multidisciplinary team to establish a user research strategy; developing a strategic understanding of goals and objectives; and designing innovative, accessible, and creative solutions.
- Leading design reviews, establishing standards and processes, and encouraging team feedback.
- In collaboration with stakeholders and the Director of Insights, identifying and describing key audience segments for university web properties.
- Collaborating with the News & Content Production team to design audience-centric experiences.
- Collaborating with the Brand Management team to ensure that institutional communications channels are fully consistent with Stanford's brand guidelines and to ensure brand components align with UX / UI requirements.
- Assisting the Web Technologies team and Stanford Web Services in implementing the designs you create.
- Providing thought leadership and best practices to campus partners in these areas.
This is a new role that reports to the Director of Web Technologies on University Communications' Digital Strategy team.
University Communications, part of the Office of External Relations, provides support and campus leadership in planning, coordination and implementation of strategic communications programs that support Stanford University and its mission. University Communications is responsible for brand positioning and strategy; issues and reputation management; crisis communications; oversight of digital content and top-level web and social media platforms; media relations and news services; executive communications with all constituencies; major publications; and a campus video productions studio and video production group. University Communications coordinates with communications professionals across the university, provides leadership to the Communications Working Group, and advises on communications policy with senior executive staff.
- Define, design, and test full products to ensure designs are aligned with user needs and underlying technology.
- Lead and conduct user research, create personas, identify required tasks and information flows for given systems.
- Create relevant design artifacts, including, but not limited to, information architecture, requirements, personas designs, wireframes, high resolution mockups and data flows.
- Lead and create graphic, visual and interactive design or work with specialists to merge these into the user interface.
- Make systems compliant with Stanford's online accessibility policies through implementing alternative technologies.
- Create and maintain digital assets, such as interface design files, wireframes, and interactive mockups using design and prototyping tools
- Design, conduct, and report on usability testing for applications during the development lifecycle.
- Maintain an understanding of evolving industry standards, trends and best practices. Identify opportunities to refine existing capabilities and leverage new capabilities.
- Analyze metrics and user feedback for issues and opportunities for improvement; partner with quality assurance and help desk specialists to identify defects in application functionality or design and create strategies for mitigation.
- Contribute, maintain and review documentation on design assumptions, application requirements and specifications, business logic, training materials, help text, and release notes.
- A commitment to promoting and supporting an environment of diversity and inclusion.
- Other duties as assigned, including occasional work on nights and weekends.
Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree and five years of experience or combination of education and relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to define UX vision and to execute against it.
- Advanced knowledge of computer systems, business processes and workflow.
- Demonstrated experience in designing and developing web applications.
- Experience with current web technologies, such as ES6, Babel, SASS, webpack and HTML5.
- Experience creating and maintaining digital assets such as interface design files, wireframes, and interactive mockups using design and prototyping tools.
- Experience with responsive design, and application of HCI to mobile application development.
- Experience in designing for accessibility, ensuring adequate access to information through assistive technologies.
- Defining and leading user research, user testing, usability testing and analysis.
- Skill in developing specifications and mockups using UI design tools and/or programming in web application languages.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, including the ability to bridge functional and technical resources by communicating effectively with individuals of varying systems expertise.
- Proven problem solving and analytical thinking and ability to approach problems logically and systematically.
- Ability to collaborate effectively in multidisciplinary teams and on projects with a diverse array of stakeholders and senior leadership.
Certifications and Licenses:
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently stand/walk, grasp lightly/fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, and reach/work above shoulders.
- Occasionally sit, twist/bend/stoop/squat.
- Visual acuity including color vision.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
Occasionally work weekends, evenings, holidays, and flexible shifts.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4817
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: K
- Requisition ID: 87157
Location: Office of University Communications, Stanford, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency