Job location: Pasadena, CA
Employment Type: Part-time
Posted data: 2020-11-10
Teachers/Associate Teachers work directly with children as a member of the teaching team under the direction of the Master/Lead Teacher. Participate in designing curriculum. Demonstrate a commitment to and understanding of anti-bias education and its implementation. Provide direction and support to Associate Teachers and practicum students. Ability to run, walk, stand for extended periods of time, bend, climb, see up close and at a distance, sit on the floor with children, lift up to 40 pounds and reach children quickly in the event of an emergency.
This position is located in Pasadena and reports directly to the Executive Director of the Children’s School.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Assist in the development and execution of the daily routine to include small and large group experiences and individual time with children
• Be responsive to the developmental needs of each child as well as to those of the group; individualizing curriculum to meet the unique needs of each child
• Establish limits; facilitate problem solving, conflict resolution, and model humanistic interactions
• Establish a trusting relationship with children with a focus on anti-bias attitudes and actions
• Setup the indoor and outdoor environment to promote purposeful play
• Observe, record, and assess children’s interactions and experiences
• Cooperatively plan, document, and implement developmentally appropriate curriculum and assume responsibility for specific curricular areas designated by the Master/Lead Teacher.
• Protect the health and safety of all children at all times
• Maintain a safe, purposeful, clean, and organized environment for all children
• Teach care and respect for the environment and the personal property of others through modeling and practice
• Coordinate with the Master/Lead Teacher to assign and complete high quality developmental summaries for all children in the program
• Confer with the Master/Lead Teacher convening materials/equipment needs and assist with purchasing as requested
• Establish collaborative partnerships with parents including a respect for cultural differences, family configurations and a variety of parenting styles
• Involvement in and coordination of an ongoing communication system for families within the program including:
• Record daily notes as required
• Complete and evaluate developmental conferences as required
• Participate in parent/teacher conferences as required
• Conduct parent meetings as needed
• Conduct individual parent conferences as needed per coordination with the Master/Lead Teacher
• Attend and contribute to Parent Orientation meetings and other special events throughout the school year
• Attend and participate in daily/weekly staff meetings
• Model appropriate skills in working with parents and children
• Model individual, small, and large group teaching skills
• Meet with and support the Master/Lead Teacher
• Attend Children’s School staff meetings, in-service trainings, and sponsored events at the Children’s School as coordinated by the Master/Lead Teacher and/or Director
• Perform other duties as assigned
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Maintain professionalism and confidentiality
• Abide by the rules and policies of the Children’s School and support the mission of Pacific Oaks such as encouraging inclusion and embracing diversity
• Model appropriate ethical behavior for children, families, and colleagues and exemplify caring, respect, and honesty
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Demonstrate a clear understanding of and commitment to the progressive philosophy of the Children’s School
• Demonstrate continuing professional growth and development
• Use appropriate channels for problem solving
• Communicate with members of the school community openly, directly, promptly, and constructively without resorting to gossip or rumor
• Demonstrate punctuality and adhere to appropriate attendance standards
• Required AA degree or equivalent in ECE or related field.
• BA preferred
• Previous experience working with children in a progressive school setting (2-3 years)
• Effective written and verbal communications skills
• Ability to work effectively in a team
• Title 22 certification
• Ability to take charge if Master/Lead Teacher is away
Pacific Oaks offers a generous compensation and benefits package, as well as the opportunity to work for a leader in the field of diversity and social justice. Some of our key benefits include: generous paid time-off, medical, vision, and dental coverage, company-paid life and disability insurance, 403b with employer contribution, multiple flexible spending accounts (FSA), tuition discount, and other perks.
Pacific Oaks is an affiliate of TCS Education System. To apply for this position or others, visit our Careers’ Page at: www.pacificoaks.edu
Pacific Oaks participates in E-Verify and verifies identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Pacific Oaks offers equal employment opportunities to all persons without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, parental status, housing status, source of income or military status, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local EEO laws.