Assistant to the CHRO
Job Title: Assistant to the CHRO
Location: Human Resources
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 605129
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU’s culture of excellence.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
Furlough/Pay Reduction Program
Northern Arizona University has implemented a salary reduction with personal flex time program in fiscal year 2021, as a result of COVID-19. It is possible for this position to be subject to this program. Details can be found on the HR website.
Performs a variety of administrative duties and utilizes highly effective working knowledge to assist the Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO), and the Human Resources Division, by handling a wide variety of responsibilities. Serves as the primary point of contact on matters directed to the department using judgment and discretion, and maintains the CHRO’s view on policies or issues.
Essential Position Responsibilities
- Manages, reconciles, analyzes, and prepares division budgets and finanical reports for multiple state and local accounts.
- Serves as the primary point of contact on matters directed to the office by University and/or community constituents; independently researches and prioritizes incoming issues and determines appropriate course of action, referral, and/or response.
- Oversees and supervises the day-to-day activities of the office administrative support staff, to include management and training, scheduling and prioritizing work assignments, and implementation of effective operating policies, procedures, and systems.
- Aids in the understanding and interpretation of University policies and procedures, as appropriate, and ensures that office operations are in compliance with policy provisions and standards; coordinate business affairs, personnel matters and interpret policies and procedures.
- Manages special programs for the CHRO and HR division, some of which may have University-wide impact.
- Gathers, investigates, researches, analyzes, and/or studies information affecting University-wide, intradepartmental, or interdepartmental operations.
- Manages the CHRO's calendar, meetings, and correspondence that are sometimes confidential.
- Utilizes the Peoplesoft administrative system; OnBase Document Management System, Business Objects reporting tools, and other university or division systems and tools.
- Oversees administrative operation of HR, including telecom, ITS, copier and serves in the “Building Manager” role to liaison with Facility Services.
- Under the direction of the CHRO, prepares presentations, meeting agenda(s), and background materials for all meetings led by the CHRO.
- Executes appropriate follow-through on meetings and appointments, as necessary, including meeting notes and minutes.
- Works with the CHRO to research, summarize and analyze information and statistics to compile data to prepare special and recurring reports, proposals, and other sensitive items.
- Evaluate and resolve typical administrative/operational functions to ensure effectiveness and compliance with university policies and regulations.
- Oversees the planning and coordination of key special events for the CHRO.
- Organizes and maintains files and records and serves as the Custodian of Record for personnel records, including responses to subpoenas and other requests.
- Serves as website steward and assist with updates based on division needs; liaison with university marketing as needed.
NAU is currently engaged in an Organizational Growth and Effectiveness Initiative, which focuses on positioning the University for future success of its operational practices. As a result, some aspects of this position may be subject to change, such as, but not limited to: duties, titles, reporting structure, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or other field pertinent to position AND 3 years of relevant experience; OR Seven years of directly related administrative experience.
- Any equivalent combination of experience, education and/or training
- Northern Arizona University experience with relevant functions
- Advanced knowledge with Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and databases
- Relevant supervisory experience
- Experience supporting a senior administrator or executive
- Experience working in a college or university environment
- Knowledge of budgeting and financial controls
- Experience updating and managing web sites
- Experience with Peoplesoft HR and Financial Systems and/or any related enterprise HR and Financial systems
- Strong analytical skills
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of administrative and University principles and practices.
- Knowledge of principles and practices for providing customer and personal services.
- Knowledge of records administration and maintenance techniques and procedures.
- Planning, analyzing, and coordinating activities and establishing priorities.
- English composition, grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Scheduling and planning meetings.
- Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Organizational and project management skills.
- Problem solving, organizational, and analytical capabilities.
- Works independently.
- Communicates effectively orally and in writing.
- Represents office and University in a professional manner.
- Builds and maintains positive working relationships.
- Balances competing priorities.
- Promotes a diverse, inclusive environment.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting.
If you are applying for a job that requires a CDL, you will be required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse and adhere to the clearinghouse requirements.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus and NAU-Fort Defiance as these campuses have on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities.
The reports may be viewed at https://in.nau.edu/police-department/annual-security-and-fire-safety-reports/. If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Salary range $54,779 - $68,474.
Commensurate with experience.
**The starting salary will be determined by the qualifications of the selected applicant balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU.
NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus.
Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. Additionally, new employees will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days (https://in.nau.edu/Human-Resources/Required/). If your position includes the supervision of a benefit-eligible employee, we offer the NAU Supervisors Academy for you to complete within your first 2 years.
Open until further notice.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on line at https://in.nau.edu/human-resources/ or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.