Manager, IoT and Smart Campus
Job Title: Manager, IoT and Smart Campus
Location: Information Tech Services
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 605103
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU’s culture of excellence.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
Furlough/Pay Reduction Program
Northern Arizona University has implemented a salary reduction with personal flex time program in fiscal year 2021, as a result of COVID-19. It is possible for this position to be subject to this program. Details can be found on the HR website.
The Manager of Systems and Infrastructure Administration is an ITS leadership role backed with strong technical and personnel management skillsets. The Manager will be responsible for three functional areas with significant overlap. The first is the ITS IoT Interoperability Lab, where the Manager will be responsible for staffing and operations of all lab functions. The second area is development, deployment, and management of campus IoT implementations. The third area is our Integrated Campus Security Solutions group. The Manager will regularly interface with a variety of campus personnel, including faculty, staff, and students utilizing the lab resources; and campus organizational entities such as EMSA, NAU Facility Services, and NAUPD.
- Directly supervises technical support team comprised of system administrators and technicians who manage campus IoT solutions, including Lenel door access systems and smart campus technologies. Is responsible for performance appraisals, training opportunities, and ensuring project plans and schedules are followed.
- Directly oversees the NAU IoT Interoperability lab. Is responsible for availability of systems and data, inventory of hardware/devices, scheduling lab use, and supervision of lab staff. Interfaces with faculty, staff, and students who utilize the lab.
- Provides oversight and direction for Integrated Campus Security Solutions. Works with campus departments to ensure standardization of systems and policy adherence.
- Provides oversight and support for staff maintaining the IoT infrastructure. Responsibilities include supervising OS upgrades, software installations and upgrades, account purges, hardware upgrades, evaluating system performance, security, networking, and all aspects of maintaining highly stable, usable systems.
- Participates in ITS strategic planning and executive/director meetings.
- Coordinates with NAU Facilities, NAUPD, and vendors/installers in designing and implementing strategic and individual IoT solutions. Serves on committees and cross-functional teams accordingly.
- Writes management reports as needed, ensures team’s documentation is thorough and accessible for IoT systems.
- Keeps up with new and trending IoT technologies.
- Assures team has 24x7x52 coverage of applicable servers and services.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field; AND,
- 1-2 years of management or supervisory experience required; AND,
- 2-4 years of relevant experience; OR,
- A combination of related education, experience, and training may be used as an equivalent.
- Experience with Lenel or similar access control and security monitoring systems
- Experience with LoRaWAN or other wireless communication protocols
- Experience with Machine Learning/Artificial Intelligence solutions
- Experience with Tableau or other analytic software solutions
- Experience with software/application design and standards
- Deep understanding of Cloud platforms, embedded systems, and device protocols
- Proven track record of delivering strong IT architecture and solutions
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- A thorough understanding of networking/distributed computing environment concepts; understands principles of routing, client/server programming.
- Great communication skills, customer service, team working, and business judgment.
- Experience supervising and coordinating activities of staff.
- Ability to document and train peer and subordinate staff on new/existing technologies.
- Ability to solve problems quickly and completely.
- Ability to identify tasks which require automation and automate them.
- Ability to work with people from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting.
If you are applying for a job that requires a CDL, you will be required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse and adhere to the clearinghouse requirements.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus and NAU-Fort Defiance as these campuses have on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities.
If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Commensurate with experience.
**The starting salary will be determined by the qualifications of the selected applicant balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Service Professional (SPF) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System or the Optional Retirement Program; 22 days of vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website.
NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus.
Service Professionals are hired on a contract basis, renewable each 6 months according to terms of the Conditions of Professional Service.
Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. If a new employee chooses the ASRS retirement option, participation in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, will begin on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date. New employees who choose to participate in the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP), which is an alternative to the ASRS plan for faculty and other appointed staff, will begin to participate on the first day of employment. Additionally, the long-term disability plan that accompanies the ORP will begin on the first day of employment.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days. If your position includes the supervision of a benefit-eligible employee, we offer the NAU Supervisors Academy for you to complete within your first 2 years.
December 10, 2020 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.