Graduate Residence Advisor/Graduate Assistant
Position: Graduate Residence Advisor/Graduate Assistant Location: Wheaton, IL
Job Id: 572 # of Openings: 9 Graduate Resident Adviser/Graduate AssistantJob Overview
Graduate Resident Advisers (GRA) and Graduate Assistants (GA) are part-time student employees who are enrolled in the Higher Education and Student Development program and work 20 hours a week in an office area within Student Development. GRAs are residential/live-in staff and report to one of the campus residence directors, and GAs report to a student development staff person. Below you will find general job description information. Specific Job Descriptions and Supplemental Application Questionnaire can be found here. Duties and Responsibilities – Graduate Resident Advisers
- Assist in the cultivation of a living environment that fosters community through caring relationships, service to others as well as mutual encouragement and accountability.
- Connect with and support students in emotional crises and direct them to appropriate campus resources through Student Care Services.
- Meet regularly with the Residence Life team and with the senior staff team and Residence Director in your area.
- Participate in the conduct process in partnership with the student development Deans and Directors to communicate and enforce College policies.
- Schedule concentrated relationship-building time one weeknight each week and cover on duty weekend responsibilities in your staff team rotation which occur roughly once a month.
- Respond administratively to facility needs through submitting work orders.
- Collaborate with other residence life staff in the preliminary phases of Resident Assistant selection and training.
- Assist in supervising, training and mentoring four undergraduate Resident Assistants (RAs) through weekly individual meetings.
- Recruit, hire, train, and supervise a group of students who fill additional roles in the building, either front desk staff or in planning community life events.
- Invest ten hours a week working with student teams and student leaders in a designated student development office area
- Collaborate with full time office staff to support the mission and goals of the office
- Assist in training, hiring, and supporting students in that specific office area
- Invest twenty hours a week working with student teams and student leaders in a designated student development office area
- Oversee and advise student leaders within their specific organizations
- Attend weekly or bi-weekly office meetings
- Develop growth oriented relationships with students in the office
- Meet weekly or bi-weekly with supervisor for professional and personal development, and participate in monthly Student Engagement team meetings
- Co-lead student leader training with full-time staff
- Participate in student leader hiring and selection process
- Oversee specific administrative tasks within the office
- Enrolled in the Higher Education and Student Development program in the Wheaton College graduate school.
- Residence Life or Student Development experience preferred
- Organized and self-motivated with strong administrative and collaborative skills.
- Evidence of Christian character and commitment
- Leadership ability and mentoring experience
- Communication and management skills
- Understand issues related to sexuality and racial identity development
- Review the specific Job Descriptions and Supplemental Application Questionnaire here.
- Complete the supplemental application questionnaire (located in the supplemental information file).
- Submit your completed Supplemental Application Questionnaire to: [email protected]