Custodial Crew Manager (Crew #3)
Custodial Crew Manager (Crew #3)
Job no: 497978
Work type: Management (MPP)
Location: San José
Categories: MPP, Custodial/Facilities, At-Will, Full Time
The Custodial Crew Manager plans, organizes, and supervises the activities of two or more custodial services crews and/or teams within San Jose State University. Using independent judgment and professional expertise, assists in the management and monitoring of the execution of contracted custodial services. Coordinates support for special events and commencement activities. In the absence of the Manager of Custodial Services, may be delegated full authority for the operational management of the Custodial Services Unit.
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
- Plans, coordinates, establishes priorities, and supervises the daily cleaning and daily maintenance of multiple University buildings. Directs operations of approximately thirty personnel engaged in custodial services in Campus buildings.
- Supervises the daily activities of an in-house work force of approximately twenty or more full-time Custodians. Coordinates assignments and assignments between crews to ensure entire Campus needs are met. Most work performed inside; some outside work; may require traveling to various locations both on and off Main Campus, i.e. South Campus, Aeronautics, and Metal Foundry.
- Meets with Campus customers on a regular basis to review Custodial Services Program and the needs and complaints within the assigned areas.
- Evaluates Lead Custodians’ and Custodians’ personal job performance and provides goals and areas needing improvement. Inspects work of personnel and directs corrective measures to secure satisfactory performance.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to interpret technical procedures or regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, customers and the general public.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference and to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, rations, and proportions.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions and to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with multiple abstract and concrete variables.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Minimum of four years of experience in scheduling, coordinating, and performing custodial operations for comparable facilities, two years of which shall have been at the actual supervisory and or lead level with responsibility for a large facility or group of buildings.
A valid driver's license is required for this position. Out of state candidates selected for the position must obtain a State of California driver's license within 10 days of hire in accordance with the California Department of Motor Vehicles regulations.
Once hired the employee must successfully complete the Defensive Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for California State University campuses.
- Associate degree desirable
- Experience at institutions of higher learning is preferred
Classification: Administrator I
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: November 9, 2020 through November 23, 2020. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Sunday – Thursday, 10:30 p.m. to 7:00 a.m.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: November 09, 2020 (9:00 AM) Pacific Standard Time