Clinical Coder II - Surgery
Job no: 513569
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Business/Accounting/Finance, Health Profession
Department:29140101 - MD-SURGERY-ADMINISTRATION
Advertised: 17 Nov 2020 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: 29 Nov 2020 Eastern Standard Time
Clinical Coder IIJob Description:
The Department of Surgery is seeking a full-time Clinical Coder II position to assure that all clinical evaluation and management procedure services are captured, coded, and billed accurately and timely. Candidates are required to be certified by one of the following institutions: Certified Professional Coder (CPC)/ American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) or Certified Coding Specialist (CCS-P) required.
- Performing highly specialized diagnosis and procedure coding for all non-operative and operative procedures performed.
- Verify all patient data for accuracy and resolve discrepancies.
- Review reports to determine billable services and applying the appropriate codes in a timely manner.
- Accurate and timely processing of charges in EPIC.
- Contacting Physicians or other clinical staff when appropriate to discuss coding, documentation, and/or compliance problems.
- Discussing coding, documentation and compliance issues with co-workers on coding, documentation, and/or compliance issues.
- Demonstrating proficiency in the preparation and communication of physician queries.
- Remain current on coding and compliance information/guidelines and to become an expert in this specialized area of coding.
- Performs independent research and generates reports as requested by department chairman, division chiefs, and faculty members via the Assistant Director regarding amounts billed versus amounts paid to determine effectiveness of coding practices.
- Review reimbursement reports and track payments for coding issues.
- Review reports from University of Florida Physicians reflecting payments for charges and uses this information to determine if coding is appropriate.
$21.00- $23.50 per hour; commensurate with education and experience.Minimum Requirements:
High school diploma or equivalent and three years of professional medical coding experience.
Appropriate college coursework or vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience. Certified Professional Coder (CPC)/American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) or Certified Coding Specialist (CCS-P) required.Preferred Qualifications:
- Ability to code for both diagnosis and procedure required.
- Epic system knowledge preferred.
- Incumbent must be comfortable speaking with physicians and payers regarding procedure and diagnosis relationships, billing rules, payment variances.
- Incumbent should be proficient in Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word
For consideration, you must apply online. Please upload your cover letter of interest, resume, and three professional references.
This position is eligible for veteran’s preference. If you are claiming veteran’s preference, please upload a copy of your DD 214 Member Copy 4 with your application for consideration. See our Veteran's Preference Page for more specific information.
The University of Florida is committed to non-discrimination with respect to race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, national origin, political opinions or affiliations, genetic information and veteran status in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training.
This requisition will be used to fill multiple positions. These are time limited positions.
This requisition has been reposted. Previous applicants are still under consideration and need not apply.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.Health Assessment Required: