Security Officer Part-time, Department of University Police
Job location: Winston Salem, NC
Employment Type: Part-time
Posted data: 2020-11-09
- Additional documentation must be added at the bottom of the third screen under the "My Experience."
- Internal candidates must apply via the internal career portal. Do not proceed with your application from this website.
- DO NOT complete the application without the required attachments as you will be unable to edit your application.
- Checks property exterior and interior. Patrols areas and reports suspicious activities. Monitors library security system and facility for unauthorized users. Performs inspections and reports defects.
- Completes Found Property reports for any unattended items. Completes reports and uses two-way radio to communicate with Police Communications Center.
- Protects and safeguards the WFU community from criminal and/or potentially dangerous situations. Protects WFU property from theft and vandalism. Assists Police Officers in deterring criminal activity on campus.
- Issues parking citations; provides crowd control during special events.
- Reports, documents, and prepares testimony for Student Judicial Hearings.
- Develops and implements a training program for security officers on the layout, operations, and systems utilized, if needed.
- Gate House Operations (if assigned): Monitors all vehicle traffic entering the Reynolda Campus between the hours of 10pm and 6am. Checks all vehicles entering campus; writes required reports that coincide with warnings and tickets; prepares cases for Student Judicial Court and properly testifies at the hearings.
- Night Watch Operations (if assigned): Performs foot patrols of all residence and academic buildings on campus; monitors activities; reports to University Police Communications any damaged property, suspicious activity, or criminal activity; writes operation reports concerning incidents.
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- High school diploma or G.E.D. and two years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, the internet, and other relevant software.
- Ability to operate equipment safely (i.e. vehicle wheelchair lift and two-way radios).
- Ability to prepare cases and testify in court, as needed.
- Must possess or develop a working knowledge of security technology (i.e. CCVT operation and monitoring, card reader access, and video systems).
- Skill in building security and lock procedures; skill in providing protection services.
- Ability to write detailed and accurate reports.
- Ability to detect criminal activity and assist police officers with investigations.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and time management skills.
- Ability to understand and follow safety procedures and make logical decisions.
- Knowledge of Campus Student Judicial System; ability to prepare cases and testify in court.
- Must successfully complete First Aid, CPR, and Blood Borne Pathogen training.
- Available to work during holidays, weekends, day and night shifts, and periodic overtime.
- Ability to maintain effective customer relations.
- Ability to meet the requirements of the University’s automobile insurance.
- May be required to subdue and detain individuals in emergency situations.
- Will be required to complete A.S.P. baton and OC Spray certification courses.
- Physical Requirements: light work; exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Climbing, crouching, standing, walking, running, lifting, talking, hearing. Visual acuity is required to: observe unauthorized, unlawful, or unsafe/hazardous situations, behaviors, or individuals; provide physical descriptions of people, articles, or activities; view suspicious activities, perform routine security checks, complete written reports, and view computer terminals. Subject to inside and outside environmental conditions; subject to occasional extreme heat and cold; subject to hazards.
Preferred Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Security experience in a campus environment.