Visiting Director of SHIELD COVID-19 Testing Operations (139139)
Visiting Director of SHIELD COVID-19 Testing Operations
Office of the Chancellor
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign invites applications for the Visiting Director of SHIELD COVID-19 Testing Operations. The Visiting Director will provide leadership and oversight of all aspects of the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign on-campus SHIELD COVID-19 Testing operations. SHIELD Testing Operations is a 7-day/week operation encompassing 17 different site locations with sites open as early as 6 a.m. with 7 p.m. closures. The SHIELD Testing Operations requires a staff of over 400 temporary employees. The Visiting Director is responsible for ensuring a safe and uninterrupted testing operation.
This position is a 100% full-time, twelve month, benefits-eligible, exempt, Visiting Academic Professional position. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Visiting Academic Professionals are appointed for a temporary duration and are subject to the terms of a collective bargaining agreement (PDF) with the Visiting Academic Professionals Association (AAP/IEA/NEA).
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with SHIELD team to adapt Testing Operations based on SHIELD team protocol changes. May include attending the daily standing and additional SHIELD team meetings. Maintain communication with CLIA Lab for all sample-related matters.
- Responsible for identifying testing site locations and ensuring all appropriate contracts, agreements and arrangements are in place.
- Identify and document required setup schematics, secure storage, technology and equipment needs for each venue.
- Collaborate with necessary university units and external vendors for complete testing operations.
- Work closely with the Executive Steering Committee Co-chairs to implement any needed changes to testing venues, including early identification of venue issues, analysis of venue capacity and utilization.
- Make all necessary arrangements for each of the venues for maintenance, cleaning, as well as supply and sample delivery and pickup.
- Ensure each venue has all needed technology and equipment with appropriate secure storage.
- Work with Public Affairs to ensure all needed signage is available and installed, replaced as needed. Additionally, work with the Executive Steering Committee and Public Affairs regarding scheduled or urgent changes to testing locations, hours, etc. for public announcements.
- Work with Facilities and Services for scheduling and management of venue cleaning needs and driver/delivery needs.
- Provide guidance to the Supply Chain Officer to ensure supply ordering and distribution allows each testing venue to operate without interruption. Authorize purchases as necessary.
- Provide leadership to the Safety Officer, on matters related to recycling, waste disposal, personal protective equipment needs, safe work practices, and related environments.
- Serve as a resource for external entities seeking to learn of SHIELD protocols, practices and operations.
- Provide oversight and guidance on problem resolution and facilitation in the areas of employee relations and employee discipline. Successfully initiate and navigate difficult conversations as situations arise.
- Provide leadership to SHIELD Testing Operations Zone managers on staff management issues.
- Develop, review and approve training materials in cooperation with appropriate principals
- Ensure Zone Managers are aware of any protocol changes in order to incorporate those changes into the operational processes.
- Provide weekly updates to the Executive Steering Team regarding testing venue utilization and identifying any issues that need the attention of the Executive Steering Team.
- Provide overall leadership for day to day oversight of the testing venues, primary liaison with IHR Extra Help Services.
- Provides leadership and coordination for all staffing issues and daily site operations.
- Provide guidance to Operations Manager to ensure Zone Managers are the first line of problem resolution. Zone Managers should have daily check-ins with assigned venues and act as a first escalation level for each venue for troubleshooting and problem escalation.
- Work Closely with the Operations Manager to ensure Zone Managers provide orientation and training to new staff.
Other duties as assigned
Required education, experience and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience in a management role
- Experience managing projects and logistics, preferably at the University of Illinois or an institution of higher education
- Experience identifying and addressing customer needs, excellent analytical and creative problem-solving skills.
- Experience troubleshooting and resolving technical issues; crisis management
- Ability to work with considerable latitude and independence of action
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
- Independent decision-making ability that reflects good judgment and discretion
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize work assignments to ensure operational continuity
- Excellent customer service skills
- Experience with and knowledge of personnel policies and procedures and employee relations
- Familiarity with developing and implementing HR policies and procedures, preferred
- Previous experience with and the ability to successfully navigate diffucult conversations.
- SHIELD Testing Operations is a 7-day/week operation encompassing 17 different site locations with sites open as early as 6 a.m. with 7 p.m. closures therefore this position will be required to work outside normal work hours (weekends and evenings)
- This an exempt position, not eligible for overtime
To ensure full consideration, application materials must be received by November 30, 2020. All candidates must create a profile through https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references. Interviews may begin prior to close of the search, but a hiring decision will not be made until after the close of the search. Start date is as soon as possible after the close of the search. For further information about this position, please contact Jennifer Steiling at [email protected]
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment.
College Name or Administrative Unit:Office of the Chancellor Category:2-Administrative Title:Visiting Director of SHIELD COVID-19 Testing Operations (139139) Open Date:11/09/2020 Close Date:11/30/2020 Organization Name:Office of the Chancellor