Carle Illinois College of Medicine - Medical Education Facilitator (138803)
Medical Education Facilitator
Carle Illinois College of Medicine
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Open Title and Rank
Multiple Hires, Full and Part-Time
The Carle Illinois College of Medicine is seeking exceptional individuals to serve as a Medical Education Facilitator. This is a rare opportunity to join an enthusiastically engaged, multi-disciplinary group of academic scholars, health care professionals, and specialists in medical education at the intersection of engineering, biological, and clinical sciences. The Facilitator will guide small groups of medical students in case-driven, problem-based active learning experiences that integrate the basic sciences, engineering concepts, and clinical experiences in the first year and a half of the curriculum. The Facilitator will use active learning methodologies that focus on empowering medical students to take responsibility for their own learning in all aspects of the educational program in conjunction with standards and expectations set by the Carle Illinois College of Medicine Curriculum Committee. This position will report to the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO
The Carle Illinois College of Medicine is hiring for both full-time (12-month, benefits-eligible positions), as well as part-time positions. For full-time appointments, up to 20% release time will be allowed for grant funded research, clinical work and/or additional administrative roles within the College. Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. The start date will be as soon as possible after the close of the search.
Internal candidates for this position may be a tenured, tenure-track or a non-tenure track faculty member. External candidates for this position will be considered for a non-tenure track, teaching faculty position in Carle Illinois; options may exist for joint appointments with other colleges (including possibly tenure or tenure track faculty appointment) or joint appointment with Carle.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
• Guide small groups of students through experiential active learning of integrated basic science, engineering, and clinical experiences via a pedagogy that relies primarily on case-driven problem-based active learning.
• Foster critical reasoning skills, as well as collaborative and self-directed active learning by medical students via pedagogies that incorporate clinical cases, problems, and application of new knowledge from lecture and lab.
• Manage small group dynamics to optimize learning opportunities and monitor the quality, accuracy, and breadth of information presented.
• Be receptive to training and working in a collaborative environment with other facilitators to develop and execute case-driven, problem-based active learning sessions in support of the new engineering-based medical curriculum.
• Collaborate with course directors to develop and refine learning objectives, courses, curriculum threads and cases to be used in case-driven, problem-based methods of curriculum delivery.
• Deliver course content in the faculty member’s area (s) of expertise.
• Collaborate with creation and continued development of a facilitator’s guide for case-driven problem-based learning sessions by assimilating all relevant case information.
• Attend and contribute to meetings of key personnel involved in case-driven problem-based active learning.
• Supervise student quizzes and other relevant assessments.
• Monitor and evaluate student progress and provide regular and frequent feedback. Work with course directors and unit leaders to mentor students and provide remedial instruction if appropriate.
• Record student progress, evaluations, and other assessments in the online assessment tool as required in a timely and efficient manner.
• Participate in pedagogical work with human tissues, samples, body parts, or other materials in accordance with ethical and safety standards following all University of Illinois, Carle Hospital, and federal regulations.
• Contribute to medical education research initiatives.
• Support the educational mission of the college, maintaining appropriate confidentiality of information and materials, in accordance with related student and patient regulations, such as FERPA and HIPAA.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships; work cooperatively and collegially with others in a manner consistent with a workplace of dignity and respect.
• Foster a culture of diversity and inclusion within the Carle-Illinois College of Medicine; support and engage in equal employment opportunity principles, rules, and regulations.
• Champion positive inter-professional relationships bridging the college’s private/public organization and missions.
• Work closely with the Associate Dean and senior leadership to prepare supporting documentation as required for Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) accreditation standards.
• Participate in appropriate national organizations to keep abreast of new concepts to provide optimal and continually updated technologies and service to the Carle Illinois College of Medicine’s needs.
• Occasional travel may be required.
• Education and experience equivalent to an advanced graduate or professional degree in a field related to the Carle-Illinois College of Medicine mission and curriculum.
• Preferred degree fields include biomedicine or engineering. Preferred degrees include Ph.D., M.D., D.O., P.A. or advanced practice nursing degrees.
• At least 2-5 years of successful teaching and mentoring experience.
• Instructional experience in field (s) related to the CI MED curriculum.
• Experiences and a record that reflects excellent organizational skills, effective verbal and written communication skills, and attention to detail and follow-through.
• Instructional experience or expertise in physiology, immunology, anatomy, histology, pharmacology, or engineering, is strongly preferred.
• Instructional experience in a school of medicine preferred.
• The position requires a strong work ethic, an approachable leadership style, and a consistent focus on the college’s immediate and strategic goals.
• Familiarity with online student assessment reporting software.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
• Effective use of interpersonal and communication skills that incorporate tact and diplomacy.
• Must have strong interpersonal skills with the ability to cultivate collaborative and mentoring relationships, solve problems, think creatively and resolve conflicts.
• Ability to maintain the highest standards regarding confidentiality of all student and curriculum related information.
• Must be willing to learn all aspects of the college’s operational and strategic objectives
• Knowledge of student and patient privacy regulations (FERPA, HIPAA, etc.).
Procedure for Candidacy:
For fullest consideration, applicant materials should be received by no later than December 7, 2020.
Interested candidates must create a candidate profile through https://jobs.illinois.edu. If you already have a profile, you will be redirected to that existing profile via email notification. To complete the application process:
1. Submit the Staff Vacancy Application
2. Submit the Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability forms
3. Upload your cover letter and resume (months and years of employment must be included), and contact information of three professional references
For more information regarding the application procedures, please contact Carle Illinois College of Medicine Human Resources at [email protected]
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment.
College Name or Administrative Unit:Carle IL COM Category:1-Faculty Title:Carle Illinois College of Medicine - Medical Education Facilitator (138803) Open Date:11/09/2020 Organization Name:Carle IL COM Administration